Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was in the Cinemark Theater working on finding a leak in the wall at a drinking fountain, got out the rotozip to try a remove some wet wood that was keeping me from accessing the trap arm adapter, got what I need to get removed and found the source of the leak, it was about 5 minutes after using the rotozip the strobe hall lights began to flash on and off every ten seconds, over the speaker system came the voice saying "The emergency alarm in the building has been activated please proceed to the nearest exit and do not enter until the proper authorities has cleared the building, so there I was, no shows were showing at the time so not like there was anyone there but the staff, I looked down the hall and the office door opens up, I yelled and asked what that is all about, guess he did not hear me, so I stop and begin to move towards a nearby exit, I get down around the corner and seen one of the staff, ask if that was for the theater only, really did not have a for sure answer, so my mind went into overdrive, what is going on, thoughts that passed through me was a gunman maybe, or maybe a explosion somewhere in the mall, or maybe a bomb scare, I really did not know, I did not get all the way to the outside when I decided to return to where I was working, still baffled by what it was about. I went back to work, heck staff was out and about so if there was a real thing going on I would leave if they asked me to. Come to find out the smell from the wet wood created a smoke smell and caused the alarm to activate. One of the staff asked if I cut a wire, heck no, there was no wires there to cut. It was a good thing no shows where going on, that would have been interesting if there was.

Thought you wanted to read my story, this is a true story

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Scary. I had smoke alarms go off while trying to cut 2x12's with a dull skill saw blade. I do admit the smoke off it was enough to burn my eyes, the alarm went off and scared the bejeepers out me.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was not your normal household alarm system, this was totally different, nothing I have seen in use before.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Yeh, you said it was an evacuation alarm. Must be something new since 911. As a building contractor I have not heard of such thing, but I knoiw some people who work with alarms. I will ask them when I see them again.
If I remember right DA may know.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's weird what can set off those alarms. I've had cement dust (not even much) set off an alarm in a commercial building. I've seen sprinkler fitters forgetting to fill the system back up in a commercial building. Then I knocked a smoke detector off it's base in a residential house setting off the alarm.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Working on an upstairs bathroom in a vacation cabin in CO. About 10 miles from town. Had a total brain fart. Grabbed my shop vac to suck up some drywall dust. Forgot I had taken the filter off to suck up water the day before. The drywall dust on the floor was now airborne and drifting around the house. I was trying to deal with it when I heard sirens coming up the mountain. Thought nothing of it and was working away at cleaning up when I heard someone holler my name.

Turns out the dust set off the smoke alarm. The alarm people called the fire department.

The whole way up the fire chief was planning my demise. You see, he was the fire chief and was sure I had set the house on fire. He laughed and stayed to help me clean up.

Didn't help that the guy who radioed dispatch to let them know they were returning to the station told what happened over the radio. And used my name. In a small town. Neither did it help that two of my coworkers also responded to that call as they were on the FD.

I heard about that one for a long time.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Another Plumber here in town wasdoing some re-work on a new motel that he had the piping contract for. He was soldering in the ech room but had not gotten the alarm shut down first. Evac'd the motel pretty quick. One of my apprentices is on the volunteer fire dept and had a pretty good laugh at his expense. On some industrial sites they have "seeing eyes" that detect ultra violet light from fires, they also pick up arc strikes from welding really quick. Gotta remember to find out about fire systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts