Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any easy way of estimating for plumbing jobs ? I have got ' Spons ' guide ,but I cant get my head round it . Is there any software that is not too difficult to use ? Thanks .

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
We use one of those bingo wheels with all the prices in there. Giver her a spin and reach in.

The competition is using a Ouiji board and I hear the local Gypsy is offering a bidding service also:thumbsup:

Seriously, most bidding programs are crap and more work than they are worth. Know your expenses and material costs and you will be a world better off.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i have a related question. i hear people talk about these programs, at what point do people use them? i mean, as far as job size. i've never used one and never even thought about it but i don't bid six figure jobs. if i had one tommorow, i'd just get a pad and pencil and figure it out though. i guess i just don't see how they can work. anyone?

paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
A S.W.A.G. always worked well for me as I really don't think plumbers are very good with numbers, at least that is what I feel from the competitive bids faced with lately. I use to tell customers I have squares written on the floor at the shop with various numbers in them and from 20 feet I throw a coin, whatever square it falls into that is the price, I don't think they believed me so I told them it's called a S.W.A.G. or "scientific wild ass guess", but the only real way is to figure your time and materials, put together for your bid, with time & money you'll get better, rich or hungrier.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I'm not going to put my name on the dotted line getting numbers from a computer program. Labor numbers come from a massive amount of on the job experience and gut feeling.

There are approximately eleventy billion variables on a job. Punch that in the software:)

We could literally have an infinite thread about the different variables that affect a bid.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
An intro is nice too
Yea I was thinking the same thing...
Has the zone gone soft?:eek:

About Torque
How did you find PlumbingZone.com?
google

What is your Plumbing related field/trade:
general & oil

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Hi Torque

How about an intro from you, tell us who you are , where your from, the code you use, and what you do as a plumber.

Reactions: uaplumber
1 - 11 of 11 Posts