Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of tools from my years in HVAC, but I'm trying to cross over into the plumbing trade and thought I should ask what are some of the essential tools that a helper is expected to have aside from pipe wrenches.

I personally hated lending my tools to my helpers (they tend to lose them). So just out of respect, I don't want to put a guy who might be training me in the same position.

Thanks.

~Mike

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
basic tools realy. A tape, adjustable wrenches, pipe cutters, screwdrivers, things like that. it kinda depends on what kind of plumbing your doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In Illinois the only tools you would need would be a pair of work boots and a good back because here it is illegal for anyone to touch a plumbing system unless they have a license issued by the health department or have owned the property for at least a year. I have never worked with a helper before, we use licensed apprentices for "busy work."

·
Registered
9 Posts
how in the hell does an apprentice have a license..?
In Illinois you work under an apprentice license for at least 4 years, which is issued by the state health department. With it your allowed to legally work on plumbing systems under direct supervision of a journeyman licensed plumber. You must also work a minimum amount of hours per year on it and receive the required classroom education to obtain a journeymans license.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In Los Angeles, CA. they let anyone with a pick up truck do plumbing and it shows. This area really needs some restrictions as most contractor's have hard times competing with these so called, plumbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts