LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What equipment do you guys use?
For me;
Spartan 2001
Spartan 100
Spartan 81

Hopefully get a Spartan Soldier jetter in the next couple months.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I don't do drain cleaning and just hadda vent my frustration.

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
Why not, if you don't mind me asking.

When I worked for a service shop it was about a third of their business.
Not big with plumbers here... when I researched the local market I found the demand isn't as great as it seems to be in other parts of the country.
In the last two years I can count on one hand the number of calls I've gotten for clogs.
Either people here just go straight to RR, they know plumbers here don't do it, or barring restaurants and the usual clogged HD cheapo toilets we don't get many clogs here...
Must be all the great plumbing here...doesn't clog often...I dunno.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Not big with plumbers here... when I researched the local market I found the demand isn't as great as it seems to be in other parts of the country.
In the last two years I can count on one hand the number of calls I've gotten for clogs.
Either people here just go straight to RR, they know plumbers here don't do it, or barring restaurants and the usual clogged HD cheapo toilets we don't get many clogs here...
Must be all the great plumbing here...doesn't clog often...I dunno.
You don't have older houses with clay or concrete sewer services? That's the reason you do drain work, because it leads to the repair work. That's why people spend 6k - 10k on cameras, to get to the sewer repairs/replacements.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Somebody is getting the work.Sewer businesses stay busy,people are always sticking stuff in the drains that don't belong there,but you don't have to be licensed to cable the lines,so the competition is tough.

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
My workhorses are a-
-k60
-k50
-k39af
-seesnake with toolcase monitor

I also have a spare k50 and general rt66. I'm in the process of fixing up a general 82(probably going to sell this) and a 1065-if anyone would answer my questions about it

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Somebody is getting the work.Sewer businesses stay busy,people are always sticking stuff in the drains that don't belong there,but you don't have to be licensed to cable the lines,so the competition is tough.
You have to be licensed in Cook county IL.

Get caught rodding a sewer without a plumbers or drainlayers license is going to cost you your truck and all your equipment.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Get caught rodding a sewer without a plumbers or drainlayers license is going to cost you your truck and all your equipment.
As it should be!I'm dying for beggars pizza,aurelios pizza ,white castle,Bob Evans breakfast.I gotta up there and show the wife around.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'll soon be back in the wonderful world of drain cleaning. My first weapon of choice will be a K-60 with both sizes of cable and plenty of it. Down the road, I'll add a topsnake and maybe a drum machine, but not for a while. Plumbing service and repair is still the first priority.

My last sewer machine was a General with two drums full of 3/4" cable and I wasn't crazy about it.

I also bought an Auto-Spin to try it out using a 3/8" drill motor. Silly little thing has been working for me when the drill clutch doesn't come loose. The power feed broke on the first hole. I'll upgrade that to a better model one of these days.

I haven't cleaned drains for about 25 years and wasn't making money at it back then. I know better now.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
What equipment do you guys use?
For me;
Spartan 2001
Spartan 100
Spartan 81

Hopefully get a Spartan Soldier jetter in the next couple months.

In Christ,

Song Dog

General SuperVee Top Snake

Spartan 100 kitchen sink machine

Duracable Mainline, largest one they make

Ridgid Micro seesnake, Mini Seesnake, and Seesnake with scout locators

In the future, Spartan 2001, I think it is, and a Spartan Soldier trailer jett!!

I love Spartan. I would have the Spartan mainline already, (I have the second best, a Duracable), but I don't have room for the winch, with Duracable, I have a sled on it, so it is easy to load into the van.

This is just my drain cleaning stuff, we won't get into the other tools yet:thumbsup:

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts

Wish they would do that here!!!!

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
You don't have older houses with clay or concrete sewer services? That's the reason you do drain work, because it leads to the repair work. That's why people spend 6k - 10k on cameras, to get to the sewer repairs/replacements.
We do have some A/C pipe, but no clay or Orangburg.
Once 10' outside the house the drain increases to 6" and it's not a plumbing license...each town has a whats called a Drain Layers license.
Yes, it's rediculous, but with a lack of clay pipe I imagine thats why it's not in such big demand here...most older undergrounds are CI, newer ones are SDR 35.

There is a market for drain cleaning, but for some reason it's not traditionally considered mainly a plumbers task here..most likely just the way it evolved over the years.
As for getting the equipment and using it for leverage, definitely true, but it's alot of money and my truck is already packed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts