Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering what u can remove on a enginerd joist the ones with plywood bewteen .. i cant rember ..i usally only do commerical work and never deal with this stuff.. do the same rules apply as a reg joist.. please let me know.. Ontario canada.. so ontario building code.

thanks .

Evilcyrus

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
You can only remove the entire plywood web.. Nothing more nothing less....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
been a while since I have done new construction but when I did it we did it this way as a rule. 1 inch hole 1 ft from bearing wall
2 inch hole 2 ft from bearing wall
3 inch hole 3 ft from brearing wall so on and so forth
as airgap said only in the plywood
but as I said its been a while it may have changed since then

·
Registered
82 Posts
What was the question???
What are you asking evilcyrus?
It looks to me the way you wrote it that you want to alter the engineered joist. THe answer to that is "no", thats why they are engineered. If your talking abouit drilling through the gusset, different story. But you didn't ask that

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
all holes bigger than 1 1/2 have to be like 3 times the hole you drilled away from it. So much a distance from bearing point. Someone posted it already. No square or rectangle holes. and like someone said, you have to leave 3/4" of plywood from the top and from the bottom. The only way you can have closer holes to themselves or bearing point is using the knockouts they give you.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
As a licensed building contractor I can say that the plywood is actually a fire break required at certain intervals according to the width of the building. Any part may be cut out for allowing objects to pass through, but MUST be caulked after with fire rated caulking. Now, the truss itself? Never, and I mean NEVER cut a truss. Period. Technically even when I install roof truss I am not supposed to cut the rafter tails back because it will shorten the truss over all length thus it is not the same as the manufacturers plans.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It varies from manufacturer. Some will not allow any holes in the first 12" of webbing, others will not allow any holes in a 6" lateral by 6" vertical area to either side of a bearing point.

Some allow only circular holes, others allow square and rectangular holes.

Look at the brand and make of the joist and go to the manufacturers website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts