Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I'm getting a lot of calls for these. I believe most are generated by insurance carriers.
Anyone else seeing this as a trend?
You mean the electric valves that monitor flow and automatically shut the water off? We put in some of those, but I don't think it's driven by insurance rates, just some people being cautious. My thought is just shut your water off before you leave.

Are you saying you've been getting a lot of calls for them LATELY? Maybe an article has been going around so more people hear about the idea. Have you tried asking your customers where they heard about these things?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean the electric valves that monitor flow and automatically shut the water off? We put in some of those, but I don't think it's driven by insurance rates, just some people being cautious. My thought is just shut your water off before you leave.

Are you saying you've been getting a lot of calls for them LATELY? Maybe an article has been going around so more people hear about the idea. Have you tried asking your customers where they heard about these things?
Yes, in the last 6-12 months. And, I've been copied a number of recommendations under insurance co. letterheads. I'm thinking they are offering discounts for such valves installed.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
I put one in a couple years ago for a long time customer. I priced out a Moen for him, but it was too expensive. Around $800 IIRC. I installed the one he ordered online. He had a supply line burst in his basement in the middle of the night.

At a later time I was doing something where I had to shut water off. When I turned it back on to test, apparently I was using an unusual amount of water and the valve closed. Not even thinking about the auto shut off I said what the heck?!?!! Then his phone dinged.
It was under $200 and seemed to be good quality.

He wasn’t thinking insurance until I mentioned that he should look into it.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I put one in a couple years ago for a long time customer. I priced out a Moen for him, but it was too expensive. Around $800 IIRC................
Expensive because Moen doesn't make those, they just have them made by another mfg. and then tack on their profit. Just like the disposals they are hocking now, cheap pos bull. Moen and Delta are as bad as Price Pfister now. Speakman is getting there too. Kohler still makes some good faucets but they charge out the azz for them.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
Moen screwed up when they bought out, what was it Waste King or something? King was in the name. They have cheapened their fixtures big time. I still prefer them over most others.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I’ve done a ton of them lately. It seems to be in mostly higher end 2+ million houses. The bulk of them are because the insurance companies offer a discount for having them or the customer had a flood and it’s being forced on them by the insurance company. Often the insurance company will pay for the device, a couple have even paid for installation.

I think most of them are stupid, at least the brand I usually put in. They’re supposed sensitive and constantly shut the water down on the custumer. I can’t change the settings because the insurance
Company spells out where they want it set. Usually the next time I’m back the thing is unplugged or they figured out how to program it to basically be useless. it’s going to be an interesting lawsuit when one of these houses has a flood and the custumer swears I left it like that when their homeowners rejects the claim.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
............... it’s going to be an interesting lawsuit when one of these houses has a flood and the custumer swears I left it like that when their homeowners rejects the claim.
Always take pics of your install. You do carry a high resolution, internet connected, camera in your pocket correct?

·
Registered
Master Plumber
403 Posts
I personally think this has a lot to do with peoples obsession with “smart devices” and wanting to buy anything that will send an alert to their phone. I personally don’t see the need for most of these things. Why do I need to tell Alexa to shut my lights off when I’m getting up to go to bed and walking right by the switch?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I've installed quite a few different systems in the past. Only ever had one trip where I had to go see why and get the water back on. Turns out one of the pucks under a lav tripped the valve to shut.

Luckily it wasn't a water supply leak, it was a pitted through metal p-trap in a bathroom that never got used, but the a/c condensate line was hooked up to it and made it corrode. It still made it so no real damage was done since it alerted the HO to call us, because if it wasn't there then the condensate would have run for who knows how long before they noticed since the bathroom was never used.

·
4th year apprentice
740 Posts
I personally think this has a lot to do with peoples obsession with “smart devices” and wanting to buy anything that will send an alert to their phone. I personally don’t see the need for most of these things. Why do I need to tell Alexa to shut my lights off when I’m getting up to go to bed and walking right by the switch?
Right on. I gave a quote the other day for a woman who wanted a wifi enable gas range! Who the phuck needs the internet connected to their gas range, refrigerator, or water heater? I used to laugh at motion sensor faucets in residential homes, but now find them to be job security. I've pulled a few out and replaced them with traditional faucets when their owners smartened up. I sometimes feel bad at having to charge our minimum one hour call out fee for simple 5 minute fixes, but not the time I got a call and found the batteries needed to be replaced in a motion sensor faucet. The guy felt like an idiot as well he should. The woman of course was mad at ME. I installed one for one woman who got mad at me because she asked my opinion on them so I told her honestly what I thought and my view didn't fit her narrative. I installed the battery box at the very rear of the cabinet up high under the countertop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
These are 100% due to insurance carriers offering discounted rates if homeowners have automatic shut offs installed in their home.
I have found this out multiple times after I have installed all the plumbing in large new construction homes, the homeowner is about to move in, and the builder calls me to ask if I put one in.
A PITA to install after all the water is on- especially with a 1 1/2” water main.

It has gotten to the point that on most of these homes, I am installing an additional 1 1/2” ball valve high enough above the meter so it’s easier to cut in one of these after the fact without having to drain all of the water back down to sweat on 2 adapters.
Also, I haven’t been able to find any of these larger than 1 1/4”.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts