Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been in the van now a little over 6 months, I've started getting confident on the rodders, and repairs, but my weakness is definitely diagnosing electric problems, any books or sites that can help?
TIA

·
Mark
1,399 Posts
Tanks? Water-heater-repair-guide.com honestly-youtube is great. Also HD wiring 123 helped me get a better understanding of wiring circuits.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tanks, boilers, pumps, anything really.

Had a job yesterday for no HW, tested EVERYTHING for voltage, showed nothing at EVERYTHING, but the main junction box, just didn't know where to go from there...

·
Mark
1,399 Posts
In a commercial situation-I would buy the tool to make sure what breaker your on first and start from there. I bought mine years ago it's called Circuit breaker finder. I'm sorry for all the editing but I use a cheap Bosch studfinder to wave over a Romex or wire to test if it's live before I touch it. Especially dishwashers....

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Think of it like a blocked waterline. Start at the source and find out where you have power and where you don't. The point where it changes will be the problem. For simple electrical issues look up some online courses it's very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2,069 Posts
Tanks, boilers, pumps, anything really.

Had a job yesterday for no HW, tested EVERYTHING for voltage, showed nothing at EVERYTHING, but the main junction box, just didn't know where to go from there...
If you are sure you have the correct breaker, check each side of the 220V circuit. You may only be getting 110V on one side and the other leg dropped.

With the breaker on check it at the connections. If it is live there, try the connection on top of the heater and make sure each leg is getting voltage there. If so it is in the heater somewhere, if not you lost it between the breaker and the top of the heater.

If you have 220v at the top of the heater, verify if an element has shorted out. Check continuity across the element with the wires disconnected.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know what type of hw system you were working on but, if it was a boiler with indirect, it sounds like it was a switch off somewhere or maybe a safety switch? Thermal cut out? Low water cut out?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Think of it like a blocked waterline. Start at the source and find out where you have power and where you don't. The point where it changes will be the problem. For simple electrical issues look up some online courses it's very helpful.
Yep! Same mindset...

Valve = Switch
Pressure = Voltage
Volume = Amperage
Water Molecules = Electrons

1 - 11 of 11 Posts