Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
serviceguy's thread about the customer he lost got me thinking.

Is our ego our friend or our enemy in business?

For myself, it has been both in some pretty major ways. Just yesterday, I had an opportunity to let my ego make me stupid, or to check my ego and make a change that will benefit myself and my family.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Ya know...I've done alot of work to be a better person....man...father...husband. While I do admit I kinda suck at being a husband I realized my ego used to get me into alot of trouble. With respect to business, it's still a work in progress and I am sure it will always be. Ego has a price. We all pay a price for our actions and behavior, be it work...family and self. I'd say with work I am doing well with my ego...with home life I need to refocus on that. Complacency is a ***** especially knowing your childrens love will always be there...so why change? It's a bad attitude but I bet it's a fact for more than a few of us. We hurt the ones we love.....I'm sure you all have heard that...but it's so true. I fight and ***** with my wife over every stupid thing that can possible come up. However the important things we work as a team in tandem (side by side) and we achieve more than we could by ourselves. That ability to check your ego at the door and either team up - man up - shut up - or fill in whatever the root cause of your issue is.....My wife gets it because she is just as bad, and we both know this. Doesn't make it any easier that our egos cause us to puff up our chests and show off our Popeye arms to the ones we care most about. It's hard and I have been at it a long time.

In business...what works for me is the Golden Rule. Do onto others as you would have done onto you. Moreso, I am a big fan of a win-win situation. If we both don't win, neither of us win. But that is just my integrity...alot of people are looking for ways to fuk you out of your time and effort so creating a win win situation can be very challenging. But I do my best and that is all I can do.

If I can give and take my own advice it would be to slow it down a little bit....start gaining control of your emotions. One thing I struggle very much with is a vice to release all that energy. not much of a gym guy....I like to drink, but I don't like getting drunk more than once every month or two. Sex.....see the first part of the post....smoking, you can ask Bill all about that, as I have fallen off the wagon again...drugs....won't touch them anymore simply because I still feel the cravings and it's been years since I did anything. So there is the occassional rant online about electricians thinking they know about tankless (haha) and there are a few of my silly hobbies...adult softball - flight simulator - researching things....those are a few of my vices but my pressure cooker is usually topped off and I am constantly working on that. With all that, I learned there is no point in beating myself up over things like this. I've gone through enough pain in my life and it just gets old after years and years of getting down on myself, I choose to put the hammers down as much as i possibly can. You may have seen me mention the phrase: "suffering is optional" in some of my posts, but that was meant in a litteral form....Suffering is optional within too.

I think I need to go have a good cry now...LOL

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
Good post 22. Yeah, I learned my lesson. I took it way too personally when the guy called to cancel last night. I realize I need to cool off, and remember that IT IS BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL, when someone thinks they are better off calling someone else. I don't handle rejection well. But I can't please everybody.
Next time, I'll try to keep a cooler head.

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good post 22. Yeah, I learned my lesson. I took it way too personally when the guy called to cancel last night. I realize I need to cool off, and remember that IT IS BUSINESS, NOT PERSONAL, when someone thinks they are better off calling someone else. I don't handle rejection well. But I can't please everybody.
Next time, I'll try to keep a cooler head.
I ain't busting on you man. Just got me to thinking.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I suppose it depends upon how you use your ego.

Presenting a confidence to the customer goes a long way. Knowing that you're worthwhile is very important. Customers can smell blood. As for myself, I'm too egotistical to cheat someone or lie to them.

I think that's a good thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts