Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You mean like for testing a fire hydrant line?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fill the lines up with water.

test for leaks.

i've never seen it done up here, but then again, look where i am.:)

i do recall hearing something at one time in my life about this, i think.:blink:

Vince

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
We call it static testing, yep do this all the time down here, code requires it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Ron.

i'm going to start pushing for that up here.

i just replaced some fitting for our group home for the mentally challenged.

the ks drain fittings have been leaking since day one.

as a matter of fact, i just happen to have some pics.:)

i thought the bright yellow glue was supposed to prevent this from happening.:blink:

thanks again,

Vince

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
aaaaa
thanks Ron.

i'm going to start pushing for that up here.

i just replaced some fitting for our group home for the mentally challenged.

the ks drain fittings have been leaking since day one.

as a matter of fact, i just happen to have some pics.:)

i thought the bright yellow glue was supposed to prevent this from happening.:blink:

thanks again,

Group home for the mentally challenged? Is it a place full of plumbers?

Did you think they used you's guys yellow ABS glue or did someone that didn't know any better get ahold of some yellow CPVC glue?

J.C.

Vince

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JC,

i can only speak for up here but our abs glue is yellow. it's supposed to make it idiot proof.:blink:

transition glue it white. we're allowed one joint.

i don't know what the pvc glue it because we just don't use it. abs everywhere unless the design calls for something else.

cpvc up here explodes at -40. again we don't normally use it unless it's spec'd.

as far as the fire code is concerned, i think the mentality maybe that if the fire is big enough to burn the exposed pipe and the pipe in the wall, you've already got bigger problems than the addition of plastic pipe smoke.

both abs and pvc produce toxic smoke it's just that pvc doesn't support combustion.

Vince:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've heard of your Yellow ABS glue. Any websites? Here we always use "black" ABS glue if we even encounter ABS at all. 99% is PVC. Mobile homes in ABS. Put in ABS here and you get a hack reputation even if it is unwarranted.

J.C.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard of your Yellow ABS glue. Any websites? Here we always use "black" ABS glue if we even encounter ABS at all. 99% is PVC. Mobile homes in ABS. Put in ABS here and you get a hack reputation even if it is unwarranted.

J.C.
i do recall back in the day, the pvc primer was purple, although i have seen clear, and the glue was grey.

Vince

·
Registered
56 Posts
i do recall back in the day, the pvc primer was purple, although i have seen clear, and the glue was grey.

Vince
Both purple and clear primer are available. Our code here demands purple on everything. There are literally 10 or more PVC glues depending on what you're doing. The "grey" glues I've seen are typically fast setting medium bodied adhesives used in pressure applications.

What's the brand of your Yellow ABS cement?

J.C.

·
Registered
218 Posts

J.C.
Just curious,why do you get the hack reputation.I know in Montreal,Canada 90% of residential homes are done in abs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think ABS brings on the "hack" reputation because it is installed in almost every mobile home here. Everything in mobile homes is cut to the bone cheap in this area. So therefore it is considered cheap/poor craftsmanship. It is extremely rare to find ABS in a residential home and probably never in even the smallest commercial setting.

ABS Yellow Glue brand???

Thanks.

J.C.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Abs is used all the time here, I use it all the time. I'm no hack.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Never said I consider anyone a "hack" for using ABS. Just the area I'm in interprets it that way. There's probably some areas that are uneducated in the same way about say....PVC!

J.C.

·
Registered
584 Posts
ABS vs. PVC seems to be a regional thing. I've never actually seen ABS and no supply around here stocks it. The only materials available are PVC and cast iron. As far as I know it is legal to use if you can get your hands on it.

As for filling the system. We have to fill the DWV system until water is coming out of the roof. It has to hold for ten minutes with no leaks. It's lead to a few interesting encounters. Ever see 300 gallons come out of a 4" pipe in about three seconds? It sucked for the guy standing under it being the middle of winter and all. The toilets look cool when they go. You get a nice geyster coming out of em.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Never said I consider anyone a "hack" for using ABS. Just the area I'm in interprets it that way. There's probably some areas that are uneducated in the same way about say....PVC!

J.C.
I understand just fine.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
As for filling the system. We have to fill the DWV system until water is coming out of the roof. It has to hold for ten minutes with no leaks. It's lead to a few interesting encounters. Ever see 300 gallons come out of a 4" pipe in about three seconds? It sucked for the guy standing under it being the middle of winter and all. The toilets look cool when they go. You get a nice geyster coming out of em.

Here we can do an air test, 5 psi, not then anyone does it that way, imagine trying to find the leak under an air test.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts