Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about brain-fart. Holy crap.

First some background, up here the municipal wate is only 60 psi at most. So we don't need PRV's on the supply line.

I installed a Grundfos MQ3-35 in 2 different houses that are both on cisterns. I also installed 2-50 gallon Bradford-white water heaters in both houses.
Fast forward 4 months, I have 1 tank that the T&P is drippping. Cycled the T&P a couple times but it leaked even more. The water that is feeding the cistern is very dirty so I figured the dirt was causing the T&P to fail to seat. I replaced the T&P 2 months ago and have not had any more problems.
I get called today to the second house for 2 dripping T&P valves. They are not dripping at this time but show evidence that they have recently.

Told HO to watch the tanks and call me as soon as they start leaking again.

So here I am, at home having supper, and it hits me. The damn pumps have an internal check valve!!!!

Going to install expansion tanks early next week.
Like I said, brain fart!!!

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Let me help you. :wallbash:

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Had another plumbing company install some sort of heating system that got its water from the water heater. There is a separate chamber for the potable and heating. The heater kept dripping through the T&P and he could not figure it out. I went in and looked at this thing a while and that's when it hit me, hot water expands. So I go to the plumbing suply house and explain what I had. Sold me an expansion tank and after installing it had no more leaks! Check valve at the house kept the water from flowing back when it tried to expand.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My first experience with expansion tanks...

The bad part about living in rural America. We run about 10 years behind on EVERYTHING!! So, I had went to my plumbing inspector's furthering education classes, went to all my journeyman required continuing education courses and no matter where I looked, it was code, when there is a back-flow prevention device, a check valve, hmmm... a dang water softner??

Anyways, my father never did new construction while employed for himself. He did for the union but just doesn't care for it. So, a lot of times we go in after the 'new' guy. So, after I came to work for my dad in April 07 I was given a call. My mom screamed that Shawn had been out there and Mark and Kevin and... you get the point. So, I go out there, indeed the water heater is leaking from the bottom AGAIN :furious:!!
:eek:WOW! Imagine that!! Now please note- that we live in rural America where check valves may not be at the meter... so they start us out small with back-flow on the outside hydrant. Please... don't laugh! :laughing:

Anyways, when they built this house, 3 years prior.... BRAND NEW!! Guess what? New Meter!! And what does this mean class?? Ohhhhh, and what is that? Not six foot away in the same closet... It has a lid type thingy on it, the lines on the top of the thing says in> and >out... Oh, wait there is some size 14 font... WATER SOFTNER!! Strike two! Holy cow! I put in their fourth water heater (OK, so there was a short in the jacket of the 4th so all technicalities it was their 5th) but anyways...
ONE NEW WATER HEATER, ONE EXPANSION TANK, NO CALL BACKS!! :thumbup:

OK, That is all... :laughing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts