Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea about what I’m thinking to make. A foot pedal instead of your boot to stop the drum once torsion builds too quick. (Really thinking about this as a training tool for my kid.) He’s getting better, but getting the feel, autofeed, and yank is like learning a stick shift for him.

Thinking a bicycle type break with a spring.

·
Registered
Plumbing
570 Posts
Yes and mine broke few months after I bought it
Yeah, we stripped all that crap off immediately.
I remember my father taking the auto feed off and throwing it in the garbage can after the machine was delivered. Brand new.

He stripped it down to the bare bones.

I keep it greased up with bearing grease. That’s the key to making the machines last.
Also replace the bearings so everything spins true. Wobble of old bearings will wear the machine out.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve never seen a Marco in person, just pictures here. To be honest, I’m not a very good teacher when it comes to drain cleaning. I’m over sensitive when it comes to what the cable is feeling like when I’m not the one feeling it. Probably more so now that I don’t have a boss to buy a new one. My kid is getting better, but there’s still times that he doesn’t react quick enough when it starts to bind.

·
Registered
Plumbing
570 Posts
I’ve never seen a Marco in person, just pictures here. To be honest, I’m not a very good teacher when it comes to drain cleaning. I’m over sensitive when it comes to what the cable is feeling like when I’m not the one feeling it. Probably more so now that I don’t have a boss to buy a new one. My kid is getting better, but there’s still times that he doesn’t react quick enough when it starts to bind.
How old is he ? Man I’d be scared to let anyone under about 16 run my machine. Maybe not even that young. Thing can/will hurt ya bad. And age wouldn’t be my deciding factor, you have to be a buck to handle the machine when that cable gets away…….

No long hair, no hoodie strings, no loose clothing. Good gloves. And don’t force the cable, which we all do……

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How old is he ? Man I’d be scared to let anyone under about 16 run my machine. Maybe not even that young. Thing can/will hurt ya bad. And age wouldn’t be my deciding factor, you have to be a buck to handle the machine when that cable gets away…….

No long hair, no hoodie strings, no loose clothing. Good gloves. And don’t force the cable, which we all do……
Just turned 14. I’m strict on attire. However he has a problem with remembering wearing socks for those houses…

I’ve been teaching him to force the cable, but he hasn’t figured out the breaking point/failure point yet. Hope he doesn’t. He’s watched me use reverse to unstuck a cable and take it to that point without failure a few times, he’s not there, but gets to see it.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Tell him if the cutter head isn’t turning then he’s not cleaning. When the head stops turning, pull it back then go forward again.
Build tension, pull back and shove it back in. His problem is the autofeed. Putting in neutral or slightly in reverse, depending on the feel and distance of the cable. He tends to get too much cable between the machine and the clean out. I have no desire for him to cable a highwall yet.

·
Registered
Lift Station Whisperer
477 Posts
I’ve never liked an auto feed.
I prefer autofeed on anything over 3/8" cable, simply because it gets so dang heavy, and because I have a jacked up shoulder from a dumb teen making and illegal left turn in his truck and totalling my RSX. I'm starting to prefer autofeed on the smaller cables too.

It's all in the feel. I can tell what the cable is doing so long as I have a hand on it. Now the younger guys at my company with only a year or two of experience tend to wreck cables left and right whether there's an autofeed or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer autofeed on anything over 3/8" cable, simply because it gets so dang heavy, and because I have a jacked up shoulder from a dumb teen making and illegal left turn in his truck and totalling my RSX. I'm starting to prefer autofeed on the smaller cables too.

It's all in the feel. I can tell what the cable is doing so long as I have a hand on it. Now the younger guys at my company with only a year or two of experience tend to wreck cables left and right whether there's an autofeed or not.
Lol! Years ago we hired a guy, about 10 years my senior. Decent plumber, but he couldn’t clean to save his azz! Give him a brand new 5/8 cable and he’d destroy it in three jobs. We eventually switched him to a 3/4 cable, which he then destroyed the wheels on his k750. He was the type when on call, you’d call him, give him an address, number and what the job sounded like and hang up. If you didn’t make it a quick call you’d be listing to him whine for a half hour about how he just cracked his first beer.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s not about the feel of the cable for me.

I just don’t like auto feeds. I’d rather manually put the cable in the drain and pull it back.

I’m all for everyone else using them. 👍
Every good cleaner has their own ways. What works for me won’t work for you, and vice versa. I worked with a guy once where we would swap jobs if one of us couldn’t get a line open. It was the same story every time. “You couldn’t open this?!! I got it open in 15 minutes!”

·
Registered
Plumbing
570 Posts
I understand everyone has their way. I just don’t feel an auto feed helps clean the drain any better.

I like to go back and forth with the cable, rapidly. Can’t do that with auto feed. I do this the entire way pulling the cable back into the drum.

In certain instances they’re nice but those for me are far and few between. Auto retrieve is nice when you have 225’ of 3/4” innercore cable out with some roots on the end.

·
Registered
Plumbing
570 Posts
I usually run my cable out and hit the obstruction and get the drain flowing.

Then continue all the way through the customers sewer lateral.

At this point I’ve opened the drain but it’s not clean.

While I’m retrieving I like to clean. So I swab the line with my cutter head going back and forth and slowly pulling the cable all the way back out of the pipe.

Pulling 100’ of cable back would take me 10 minutes or so. Maybe longer depending on the tree situation on that property. Or a might hit a bad 10’ section swabbing back and forth for 10 minutes.

I’ve considered mounting an auto feed on my machine but after weighing the pros and cons, it just wasn’t worth the initial expense, the initial time or the ongoing maintenance, for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts