Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread on CT peeked my interest.....

We have a random drug testing policy intact at the company I work for now. The last two didn't unless you were injured on the job or got in a vehicle accident.

We require one upon hiring, after injury, accident or random when they see fit. I think its a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our local is not set up but if you fail where you are sent you get bumped to the bottom of the list and have to work your way back up. I have heard of guys not getting called upon for over a year because of it.

·
Banned
1,644 Posts
Drug testing is a GREAT idea for any company, and it saves people from getting hurt most of all.

Plus usually people who smoke crack / use cocaine steal and with all the money that tools cost you don't want to see things walking as well.

:thumbup:I am all for it in any company.:thumbup:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I was tested when hired...
I guess they could test me anytime they want to...
It doesn't matter to me...
They can waste their money having me tested anytime they want to...:laughing:

I believe a few have been tested and caught...
I believe its a good thing...
I wouldn't think that sending junkies out to work in someones home is a good thing...

Heck I don't even hardly drink!
I might sample a different brand of beer every once in awhile...
Maybe 12 bottles a year...

·
Plumbing Contractor
971 Posts
Test

Where I use to work at before I went out on my own. They would send you to be tested if you fail! you get a 3 day un paid vaction. in 30 days you get retested. (Some people got a 2 week warning before they had to take test) Funny thing I was there for 2 years never tested once! I would of passed anways. But this one guy was tested every 2 months passed everytime????? They had this other guy that worked there got caught stealing copper line sets (truck full) failed his drug test (Nothing happend to him no vacation, or punisment) I guess it all in who you :censored: and not know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's unbelievable people think they can use drugs in this trade and get away with it.

Test everyone even your office staff, hell i caught one of my secretaries snorting **** on her desk one day.

Fired her and she begged to do anything to keep her job, I had to let her go especially after I had so many customer complaints about her.

drug tests ? :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here, we can opt to drug test our associates. We haven't to date. If an associate is injured on the job the first thing they do is drug test. If there are drugs in there system work comp may refuse the claim. I can't imagine how a guy would explain to his wife that he fell off the ladder and broke his back but he has to pay out of pocket because he smoked a joint on the job.

Things are structured today where it can ruin you if you get high on the job. Drug testing is a good thing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here, we can opt to drug test our associates. We haven't to date. If an associate is injured on the job the first thing they do is drug test. If there are drugs in there system work comp may refuse the claim. I can't imagine how a guy would explain to his wife that he fell off the ladder and broke his back but he has to pay out of pocket because he smoked a joint on the job.

Things are structured today where it can ruin you if you get high on the job. Drug testing is a good thing.

What about the good employee who smokes the odd joint at a party or camping, or whenever on his own time. I'm talking the odd one not your average pot head. I'm not one to smoke but some of my friends are and the smartest one stoned is still smarter than the stupidest one sober.

Just a thought

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of insurance companies down here push random drug testing for the companies they insure....

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
I have been known to light up a joint once in awhile (never at work of course). It was pretty rare though (an odd party every couple of months in my crazy 20s), and at my last company, I would always pass the drug-test. I guess very light, infrequent use doesn't show up on the test.:thumbsup:

Don't try this at home though, maybe I was just lucky!:sailor:

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
I would be careful of what I say here, after all, this is a public forum.
Employers as well as disgruntled employees may be lurking!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe,sometimes you got a do something to get the edge off in your free time, but theres nothing like working with a clear head.I V worked on a couple of beers with a light buzz,you won t give a 100%,and at the end of the day you die out.just speaking from experience.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I would be careful of what I say here, after all, this is a public forum.
Employers as well as disgruntled employees may be lurking!

I'm my own boss, so I'm going to implicate myself.

I'll take a drug test, fail horribly and still not fire myself.

Just steer clear of me when around heavy equipment and

flame throwing devices.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have no probs with drug tests. The problem with that is I have seen many people show up drunk from the night before. I think it is worse to show up half drunk than smoke a little pot at lunch.

Drug tests are set up to detect only set amounts that are chosen by the Co. looking for it. That is if the Co. you are working for is only looking for somebody that is a heavy drug user. The person that has smoked a joint every now and then will be ok.
The drug test can find out if you have a drinking problem too. The problem is most Co's will not test for that because Alcohol is legal.
My dad worked for a large Co. that did drug test for new hires. I asked him about drug testing because when I was 23 I had a few and wanted to know why I failed one for pot and passed 2. The tests took place during the same week. well more like One was on a Monday the other two Tuesday. lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What about the good employee who smokes the odd joint at a party or camping, or whenever on his own time. I'm talking the odd one not your average pot head. I'm not one to smoke but some of my friends are and the smartest one stoned is still smarter than the stupidest one sober.

Just a thought
I do not think it is the guy who spins up an occaisional fattie that they are after. I think if it is a trace of THC in his system they will not end the world over it. However insurance companies are notorious for finding reasons or excuses to get out of paying there bills. I can see there side.... take broken back incident. A little pot just got them out of 100's of thousands in medical expenses.

It is the guy that has to study for the drug test that concerns me as an employer. When I started in the trade the very first morning my boss handed me a pack of rolling papers, a sack of bud, and a penthouse and told me to make myself useful. The jobs were much more lax back then and it was not such an issue. Of course, I never remember anyone selling the company truck and tools at night for a hit either.

Me... back in the day I had no problem stepping up to the peace pipe. Today, I am grown up with children and I do not even drink anymore. I have 17 year old and 8 year old daughters. When I gave up my mullet I gave up the partying.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts