Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My town water department guy called me and asked if I would be interested in looking at replacing maybe 12 or so water drippers.

There are a few houses here where the watermain sometimes freezes in the ground so the town has installed "drippers" before the meter in the house and run a drain over to a floor drain or other drain avaliable. The fitting basically just constantly drips during the winter so the movement in the water line keeps it from freezing. I have never seen such a fitting so I wonder if anyone here know of them and which one would be good. They are also looking at switching from copper to pex since they seem to believe copper is not good enough after having seen some leak over the years. They will call me next week to schedule looking at 1 so I know what I'm in for but for now I'm just curious as to what it looks like since I can't seem to find one online.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
I haven’t heard of a dipper before. Sounds like a trap primer. Don’t get me going on those abortions!
My in-laws water line is below the frost line since 30+ years ago. They have to keep the lav cold trickle throughout the winter. Water/sewer bill is based on summer usage, which is BS as they garden.

·
Super Moderator
2,124 Posts
I haven’t heard of a dipper before. Sounds like a trap primer. Don’t get me going on those abortions!
My in-laws water line is below the frost line since 30+ years ago. They have to keep the lav cold trickle throughout the winter. Water/sewer bill is based on summer usage, which is BS as they garden.

Trap primers only work as water passes through them once a faucet/valve is activated. Must be something different.

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Trap primers only work as water passes through them once a faucet/valve is activated. Must be something different.
No, they have to leave a faucet running during the winter. If the line freezes, they have to pay to fix it.

We got away from trap primers, thankfully, but we now have to use trap seals, which IMHO are just as much of a joke as trap primers!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
I haven’t heard of a dipper before. Sounds like a trap primer. .........
My thoughts exactly, they sound like a trap primer or a variation of one.

No, not all trap primers rely on flow THROUGH them. I have seen some that work like a little piston/bellows and double check valve, sucking in water when the pressure drops, and expelling water into the trap when the pressure rises. There are also electrically timed primers, but we're talking about mechanical devices.

Reactions: GAN

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
You said the drippers were BEFORE the meter, does that mean the homeowner doesn't get charged for the water used by the dripper? Does this mean the water company is responsible for the line up to and including the meter?

Here the homeowner is responsible for their line all the way out to and including their connection at the main, except for the meter itself. If someone's line freezes it's tough titties, better bury it deeper or insulate and put a heat tape in.

Reactions: Tango

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No deffinately not a trap primer as that only works when you use water. This would be continously running all winter even when no water is used in the house.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You said the drippers were BEFORE the meter, does that mean the homeowner doesn't get charged for the water used by the dripper? Does this mean the water company is responsible for the line up to and including the meter?

Here the homeowner is responsible for their line all the way out to and including their connection at the main, except for the meter itself. If someone's line freezes it's tough titties, better bury it deeper or insulate and put a heat tape in.
Around here the customer own and is responsible for the line from the curb stop and the rest of the way to the house. They actually don't own the meter but are still responsible for it. Curbstop we are not supposed to touch, only the water department normally. Yes in this case the water department has put it before the water meter in the house so the homeowner does not pay for the extra water usage. I believe its actually because there are a few spots where even the main water line in the street has frozen up before so since it's not just affecting the homeowners service line but also the city main they have chosen to take the hit on the water bill. Not sure about the specifics. I'll meet with them next week and know more. All I know is that they have about 12 to do and it's inside houses with a drain pipe run over to dump in a floor drain. Also that they want to replace with something else than copper since they have had some leaks on the copper.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Drippers............. Interesting.
My town water department guy called me and asked if I would be interested in looking at replacing maybe 12 or so water drippers.

There are a few houses here where the watermain sometimes freezes in the ground so the town has installed "drippers" before the meter in the house and run a drain over to a floor drain or other drain avaliable. The fitting basically just constantly drips during the winter so the movement in the water line keeps it from freezing. I have never seen such a fitting so I wonder if anyone here know of them and which one would be good. They are also looking at switching from copper to pex since they seem to believe copper is not good enough after having seen some leak over the years. They will call me next week to schedule looking at 1 so I know what I'm in for but for now I'm just curious as to what it looks like since I can't seem to find one online.

Just put a lockable hose Bibb in the line,crack it open enough to dip,lock it out,easy Peazy send them a bill lololololo

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
Just put a lockable hose Bibb in the line,crack it open enough to dip,lock it out,easy Peazy send them a bill lololololo
The fastest way to ruin a bibb seat is to let it trickle.

I have to imagine the drippers rely on a very hard surface such as a monel or stainless alloy.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
If you wanted to come up with your own dripper I'd use something with a ceramic cartridge like a 1/4 turn stop. You could set that to drip and the ceramic plates would hold up longer than any of us. I think the biggest issue is designing something that won't clog with mineral or rust buildup.

Reactions: sparky

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you wanted to come up with your own dripper I'd use something with a ceramic cartridge like a 1/4 turn stop. You could set that to drip and the ceramic plates would hold up longer than any of us. I think the biggest issue is designing something that won't clog with mineral or rust buildup.
Agree should have read your comment before I posted lolololo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts