Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had an issue this past summer with the drains in my house backing up and water overflowing. It seemed to be triggered when a lot of water flowed through (like during a shower). I immediately called a plumber who suggested I get the drain snaked, which I did (by another plumber the first one referred me to).

The second plumber "went all the way to the septic tank" and found no blockage that he could report. We even had a third guy come out with a small excavator, dig down to the septic tank, and the plumber took a look inside. The system itself is old (built in the 70's) and is being replaced asap. However, they reported that it was in fine working order, was not full, and had no blockage. They even checked out the dry well and that seemed fine also.

Anyhow, the problem still persists but now the pipes will back up and overflow from just flushing the toilet.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be going on? I'm willing to have the plumber (or even a new plumber) come out again to snake the pipes another time, but don't know what good it would do.

Potentially useful points:
  • Nothing odd goes down the drain (only toilet paper and tiny food scraps that escape the trap in the sink)
  • We're careful not to use a lot of toilet paper
  • The previous owner used the home as a vacation home but it's now a full time residence (since late spring)

Help! 馃槪

Banned
It might be an issue with the mainline. It's a mainline issue if a toilet flushing actually causes the floor drain to overflow. Remove whichever of the toilets that produced the overflow is nearest to the drain to solve the problem. If the flange is empty, make sure there is water in it by running water from any adjacent outlet until the flange is full, then away from the toilet flange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts