Votes: 2 16.7%
  • When I get mad, I get even, and that means I'm coming to get even

Votes: 3 25.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went on my last emergency service call this evening, damn if my cable got jammed in my drum.

This cable isn't even 5 months old, bought it straight from Spartan and I've noticed that I've sprung the last 25' of the cable as it's whipping furiously like it got torqued too hard, now it's coiled a lot smaller than the drum itself.

How in the hell can this be, on a 4 month old cable?

No way I use my equipment as often as some of the plumbers on here, and the last cable in this drum went almost 9 years with 3 kinks most of its life in the drum. But it worked, and it got used.

Now, I get 55' out in cable through the drain and it starts whipping so damn hard in the machine that it starts to kill the power/engaging the clutch to the machine.

Today, I ran out about 40' and coiled into a break in the line, got it stuck and had to reverse the motor to get back loose. Of course I only ran it in reverse just enough to free the machine. Once it got open, power fed the cable into the machine normally.

Next pass out, cable starts jamming in the drum and now the cable is fighting as it comes out of the machine. Tried another pass going slower, got out further and bam, I got nothing.

Rather than sit out in this customer's yard and fight that cable out of the drum to reinstall it, I did the

MOMENT OF DEFEAT

and packed my equipment up, no charge and said I lose. Machine is messed up and I'm going home, here's a guy that'll come out and get you open. :(

It hurt, but with my health lately I'm not much for being a hero in jerking cables out of drums. Upper body isn't what it used to be. Plus there is no guarantee I'm getting that cable out of the drum like I want it to.

Having it back here at the shop will be the resolve, but if I yank that cable out of that drum and find the last 25-30 feet of that cable all coiled tight,

should I demand a refund? Dispute a charge on the credit card? Demand a discount? Truly demand an answer from where I bought it?

Or should I blame myself thinking I somehow in all my years did something out of the ordinary to get that last half of the cable twisted into hard curls because of some new "you have to treat your cable this way" attitude with running/operating your cables.

I'm not happy, and I'm not happy about what I'm going to find here soon with an almost $300 cable I cannot use past 50 feet on a 75' cable.
'

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I don't know if cables have gone down in quality because I've owned the same ones now for more than that long and haven't had the need to replace them.

I have never gone to a drain call and had to say "I lose". So long as the line is in good enough condition to be openable.

Perhaps it is the equipment you are selecting to use or user error.

Went on my last emergency service call this evening, damn if my cable got jammed in my drum.

This cable isn't even 5 months old, bought it straight from Spartan and I've noticed that I've sprung the last 25' of the cable as it's whipping furiously like it got torqued too hard, now it's coiled a lot smaller than the drum itself.

How in the hell can this be, on a 4 month old cable?

No way I use my equipment as often as some of the plumbers on here, and the last cable in this drum went almost 9 years with 3 kinks most of its life in the drum. But it worked, and it got used.

Now, I get 55' out in cable through the drain and it starts whipping so damn hard in the machine that it starts to kill the power/engaging the clutch to the machine.

Today, I ran out about 40' and coiled into a break in the line, got it stuck and had to reverse the motor to get back loose. Of course I only ran it in reverse just enough to free the machine. Once it got open, power fed the cable into the machine normally.

Next pass out, cable starts jamming in the drum and now the cable is fighting as it comes out of the machine. Tried another pass going slower, got out further and bam, I got nothing.

Rather than sit out in this customer's yard and fight that cable out of the drum to reinstall it, I did the

MOMENT OF DEFEAT

and packed my equipment up, no charge and said I lose. Machine is messed up and I'm going home, here's a guy that'll come out and get you open. :(

It hurt, but with my health lately I'm not much for being a hero in jerking cables out of drums. Upper body isn't what it used to be. Plus there is no guarantee I'm getting that cable out of the drum like I want it to.

Having it back here at the shop will be the resolve, but if I yank that cable out of that drum and find the last 25-30 feet of that cable all coiled tight,

should I demand a refund? Dispute a charge on the credit card? Demand a discount? Truly demand an answer from where I bought it?

Or should I blame myself thinking I somehow in all my years did something out of the ordinary to get that last half of the cable twisted into hard curls because of some new "you have to treat your cable this way" attitude with running/operating your cables.

I'm not happy, and I'm not happy about what I'm going to find here soon with an almost $300 cable I cannot use past 50 feet on a 75' cable.
'

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
There's nothing wrong with drum machines and certainly nothing wrong with Spartan machines. I haven't used a Spartan cable for probably 10 years. The cables I have right now came from Draincables Direct and are probably a year old, no problems whatsoever. Before that I had a cable from the Cable Center that was probably 6-8 years old and had at least 1,500 mainlines on it, maybe even 2,000. I got rid of it because it was limp and floppy but it was still usable. If it's coiled that tightly, I'm thinking something to do with the cable.

Paul

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did the cable double up in the drum? or was it just stuck? I got a spartan 1065 and a 100. when that happens I just either throw it in reverse and the snake frees up or i will kick the arm of the machine and the snake comes out that way . then I try my best to straighten the kink.
I clean alot of drains and my cable last me usually at the most 2 years and not cause of the kinks because it starts to get flimsey. If flimsey is a word:laughing:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
There's nothing wrong with drum machines and certainly nothing wrong with Spartan machines. I haven't used a Spartan cable for probably 10 years. The cables I have right now came from Draincables Direct and are probably a year old, no problems whatsoever. Before that I had a cable from the Cable Center that was probably 6-8 years old and had at least 1,500 mainlines on it, maybe even 2,000. I got rid of it because it was limp and floppy but it was still usable. If it's coiled that tightly, I'm thinking something to do with the cable.

Paul

What size cable are you running in your 300 ?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

This is total BS, this cable is so flimsy I can see why it got destroyed.

This cable is destroyed at the end of it, not the beginning, meaning it didn't see any work in the drain but rarely and I've never hit a clog past 50' with this cable, running 1.5", 2" or a 3" floor drain.

The very beginning of the cable has a few slight bends but perfectly fine, and the cable continues almost 45' and straight as an arrow. It's just the end of this cable has to be cut off so it doesn't jam the machine up again.

Looks like I'm going to be cutting off 10' to 12' feet to make it a go... but what the hell is going to keep this from happening again?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Do you drain your drum and rinse the cable after use, then apply snake oil?

Looks like it sat in a puddle of drain cleaner and lost its temper...

The poll is flawed you left out improper cable care and operator error...

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you drain your drum and rinse the cable after use, then apply snake oil?

Looks like it sat in a puddle of drain cleaner and lost its temper...

The poll is flawed you left out improper cable care and operator error...

You just answered a question you should know,

spartan cables are glazed with a off chrome/galvanized finish, the acid resistant covering they put on those cables.

I ran 6 drains on that cable this week, the last one didn't turn into money....

I don't clean that cable after every use and that is actually a very clean cable right now.

I didn't put in installer error because I'm 100% positive that I was even more abusive to the cable that was in that machine for 8 years, and it didn't look like this one after 4 months.

Something is wrong with this cable and it's not the operator. If it was I'll admit it, but this cable should of never wiped out so quickly, no way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You just answered a question you should know,

spartan cables are glazed with a off chrome/galvanized finish, the acid resistant covering they put on those cables.

I ran 6 drains on that cable this week, the last one didn't turn into money....

I don't clean that cable after every use and that is actually a very clean cable right now.

I didn't put in installer error because I'm 100% positive that I was even more abusive to the cable that was in that machine for 8 years, and it didn't look like this one after 4 months.

Something is wrong with this cable and it's not the operator. If it was I'll admit it, but this cable should of never wiped out so quickly, no way.
I don't know for sure but that kink that looks like a v :eek: that might of been from you, thats a pretty bad kink looks like it doubled up in the drum .. you probably didn't pull back quick enough :cry:and thats why it twined up like that.what size was the cable? and what machine?

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know for sure but that kink that looks like a v :eek: that might of been from you, thats a pretty bad kink looks like it doubled up in the drum .. you probably didn't pull back quick enough :cry:and thats why it twined up like that.what size was the cable? and what machine?

There's no doubt, it doubled up in the drum but I haven't done anything with this machine where I've hit anything where I had to fight it, ever. That's what is pissing me off about this whole situation.

I've been easier on this cable more than the last, and I was abusive to the last cable and it only had 3 kinks.

Never did it do what this one did. I might video me taking my hand and showing how little it takes to bend this cable.

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So why are you showing everyone how you destroyed a good cable in only 4 months?

In about 2 months, when enough plumbers/drain cleaners have voted on the poll,

I'll know if my time spent building this discussion was warranted, and already it's leaning towards cables being built cheaper.

I expected years out of this damn near $250+ cable, not months. How I wiped out the end of it on soft clogs is utter bullshi.t and this means if I buy another cable, it's going to happen again.

I'm not about to slow the machine down while cleaning, and I'm not going to start babying it either. It's a workhorse of a machine and until these cables went in it, it performed to full standard.

Plus, I was due for building a video. :laughing:

If spartan calls me out (I won't be contacting them) then I know I've reached them the way it was meant to be.

If you read any of my rants, I'm pro spartan on everything drain related. But sell me an expensive cable I trusted to be of high quality and I'm wiping it out in 4 months?

I can count on both hands the number of cables I've wiped out in my day, and 7 of them were 1/4" open hook cables that were $18/piece. <<< What should I expect for $18 on a cable.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I dunno, I think Dunbar has ran enough cable in his life to know when something weird is going on. What kind of warranty do they have? Naturally they will want to put blame on user error but, as you say if you've used spartan products for years they should have a decent history of your purchases and thus experience. I'd say it's worth a call but first try to gather some history of your own to help defend your case. BTW I really didn't see a poll option I felt honest enough to check.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts