Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys started your company,did you right off the bat charge double time in the late hours,or did you keep it at regular rates to attract and build a customer base.Also do you guys follow a rule of thumb with friends.

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Regular for 8 to 5
time and 1/2 for after 5 and weekends. After I built it up a bit I changed it to time and 1/2 for Sat, and double for Sunday and hollidays.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Time and a half after hours. Started this from day one.

Family / Friends / associates - No hard and fast rule here. Basically, we charge less for those who help build our business through referrals.

Family - If my parents needed something done, my husband (not one of our employees) would do it on his own time (Saturday). The price would be materials, plus what they wanted to pay. My parents are generous so this would work out fine.

My sister - Cash is very tight, so it would be done as a charity basis.

My cousin - See him at funerals, weddings, once a year at Easter. Same price as everyone else pays.

Friends - Most would expect a break. So in this case, I would ask the friend straight up - "I can do this for you through my business and offer a warranty, but I have to charge you $X because that is my cost. or I can do this as your friend and you pay me cash or do something for me in exchange."

Generally mixing business with friendships / family is a BAD idea!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts