Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-started my door-to-door canvassing today and am very excited. My new salesman worked less than three hours. We found a hole in a floor furnace, gave an estimate for $3,000 and at another home we found some leaking drain pipes and a brand new FAU that had heat ducts that were half asbestos-covered, half flex, and not one duct was connected underneath the house. The installer only slipped the new flex over the existing asbectos covering with no tape nor seal. Tomorrow, we have an appointment and we will give an estimate for about $12,000 to install new drain pipes, new ducts, and turn the FAU sideways because it is in a basement that gets flooded.

It took a few months to think about our canvassing and I think we have ironed it out the bugs. Now, if you are the type who gets mad at people who give things away for free, then you better stop reading.

I made two brochures and posted them in the Flyer files with the manual. One brochure offers a free toilet tank leak test and even a free toilet repair valued at $95. The second brochure offers a free furnace and vent system inspection valued at $95.

Yesterday, we put an envelope in front of 200 homes. The envelope contained the two brochures and a letter telling the people that we were offering the free inspections for only two days and a representative would be knocking on their door. Today, the salesperson went to the homes and the response was great.

I can see us having about 4 door knockers generating no less than 4 major sales as we are going only to neighborhoods where we know the people have leaky drains, old furnace, etc.

I am going to try real hard to get the jobs, tomorrow, and maybe I will even take a shower.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
You also do asbestos abatement work? Half of that $12,000 would be spent after the asbestos is properly removed.

Reactions: 22rifle

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
and at another home we found some leaking drain pipes and a brand new FAU that had heat ducts that were half asbestos-covered, half flex, and not one duct was connected underneath the house. The installer only slipped the new flex over the existing asbectos covering with no tape nor seal. Tomorrow, we have an appointment and we will give an estimate for about $12,000 to install new drain pipes, new ducts, and turn the FAU sideways because it is in a basement that gets flooded.
I forgot to quote you. I didn't want you to edit that part out. Folks would wonder what I was responding to.

Reactions: 22rifle

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We can remove two bags of asbestos

You also do asbestos abatement work? Half of that $12,000 would be spent after the asbestos is properly removed.
I have a certification as a 'worker' for asbestos. There are three levels of certifications and I am certified, but my company is not. The class I went to was about two years ago and I was told we can remove two contractor-size bags of asbestos without permits as long as the insulation was soaked with water, it was put in double bags, we wear a full face respirator, wear a Tyvek suit, and personally deliver the insulation to a disposal site. The insulation from heat ducts fits easily into two bags for almost every home.

When we hire an abatement company to remove only ducts the bill is about $800.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
You can use that method of removal if it's less than 25 linear or 10 square feet of surfacing you are removing. I'm not crazy about the water spray method but, it is legal on the little stuff. Since you have the HVAC system open, don't forget to at least cover the open registers to the upstairs.

The inspector who told you the 2 trash bag rule is a fool. Double bag in 6 mil bags. Wearing your mask is a must. The class 1 stuff you are removing could be as much as 70% asbestos.

Your liability insurance guy will shiiiit a brick if he finds out you play with the stuff at all. I got educated to be a project manager just to enter others containment. Contracting abatement is a huge can of worms once you get above the 25 linear 10 square feet.

·
Water Whisperer
3,627 Posts
I re-started my door-to-door canvassing today and am very excited. My new salesman worked less than three hours. ...

I am going to try real hard to get the jobs, tomorrow, and maybe I will even take a shower.
Ya know, pcplumber, you will be the one left standing after the dust settles.

Totally _ing inspiring.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Its funny, you would think plumbers would be more encouraging about someone landing a job, especially if they are on the other side of the country.

Sad to see actually how that doesn't really happen for the most part.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Its funny, you would think plumbers would be more encouraging about someone landing a job, especially if they are on the other side of the country.

Sad to see actually how that doesn't really happen for the most part.
I questioned his abatement technique. Not whether or not I was happy he landed a job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts