Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I Married Up
16,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a feller gotta do to get a drink around here? Hey barkeep! Got any Crown Black or Pendleton Midnight handy?

Howdy all. Hope everyone's doing well. Not a whole lot new with me and MizBiz other than gettin' older I suppose.

·
I Married Up
16,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have been guilty of I restrained typing. 😂
That was supposed to say “unrestrained” typing. Sheesh, I guess I’m out of practice.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Good to see you back! I’ve been wondering about every time someone one resurrects a thread!
If you resurrect an old thread someone started or was involved in, it might send them an email depending on their settings. Even if they haven't been on in 5 years or so.

·
I Married Up
16,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you resurrect an old thread someone started or was involved in, it might send them an email depending on their settings. Even if they haven't been on in 5 years or so.
I didn't remain subscribed to any threads when I took my sabbatical, so I never received notices.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I didn't remain subscribed to any threads when I took my sabbatical, so I never received notices.
Okay, but we've had others who came back because of random emails.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
I Married Up
16,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, but we've had others who came back because of random emails.
Ahh yes, "Trending Posts" email. I rarely ever clicked on them, surprisingly though they often centered on DIYer's posts.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Seems not much has changed since the Dark Ages, given the current harassment of people ignoring the intro section.
I do my best to start substantive threads related to plumbing, granted it's been a while. Are you service or newcon/reno?

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
I Married Up
16,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For
I stumbled into the Plumbing Zone forum doing research more than once. Then I spend too much time being drawn into the conversations. I've never been accused of saying too little so I figured I better do an intro before chiming in. The real deciding factor for registering was seeing some com-padres from the ole PDL and the SRT.

Both of my grandfathers were plumbers. One a Master in the union and the other a Master working with OKC on water mains. The first passed a few years back and was at the time the oldest living member of the Local in OKC. The other met his end with a heart attack on the job while I was still a tot.

I remember hanging out with my dad and grandfather on jobs and at grandpa's shop. I loved all the tools and grease and dirt. But when I was in my teens, I was expected to do a lot more than just stand around and have fun with grandpa. My dad expected me to work! There must be an easier way to make money so I got into computer and accounting work.

In my early twenties I was laid off from my dream office job. I had been working as an investment accountant and computer programmer but then there was the oil bust and all of the sudden the job market was competitive and I wasn't worth as much as I thought I was. After a hard day delivering pizzas for Domino's, I was hanging out in my grandfather's shop whining about my misfortune. He told me he new of a few places where I could get a real job.

OH NO :censored: ...NOT PLUMBING AGAIN?!?! I exclaimed. "Yes, plumbing" he said. After the shock wore off and I thought about it seriously (and with some prodding from my wife) I realized it was probably not such a bad idea. The next day I sat down with the phone book and started calling shops to see if they needed help from a 1st year apprentice (greener than an ivy leaf I was). My dad and grandfather had taught me work ethic but I had retained little else.

By the time I got to the "B's in the directory, I had and interview and a job. I'm not sure how this happened, but the shop that hired me was owned and operated by a man that had served as an apprentice under my grandfather in the 40's. They managed to keep that a secret from me for 3 years. After getting my contractor's license, My wife (Donna) & I opened Water Works Plumbing about 30 years ago in OKC. I used my back and knees alot when they were new so my days as a one-man-shop were numbered. Although I love being a technician, I also love running a business so for the last several years I have been focusing on the latter. With our plumbing and bath remodel business we have 15 employees.

Nuts & Bolts: I'm a huge fan of PROFIT. If plumbing didn't pay well, this forum would be empty because we would all be gone fishing. I want the best technicians to work with and they don't come cheap. I'm a huge fan of Mr. Blau, Randy Hiltion, Bill Parr, Gene Burch, Ellen Rohr, and too many other mentors to mention. And as you might guess, I'm a flat rate advocate. I love being a plumber and the plumbing business and I especially love knowing the difference between the two.

I'd probably still be delivering pizza if it weren't for my dad, grandfather, and wife not giving up on me. I am grateful and humbled every time I think of the Masters that preceded me in this trade and the ones that still take time to teach me today. I love the plumbing industry and what it has done for my family. For some it is a job, for others a career. For me...it was destiny. Me and the New York Yankees. Were the luckiest men on earth because we get paid to do what we love. 👍

Like I said, I've never been accused of saying too little.
Update...
I sold the plumbing company after 30 years after expanding into trenchless sewer repairs and replacement, but I'm still (22yrs and counting) operating a Bath Fitter business as as plumbing contractor employing 15+/- people. We work hard, pay well, and I expect my employees to be more invested in their families than being my employee.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts