Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Slip-on Shoe/Floor Protectors

• Why yes, yes I wear shoe covers in a customer's home

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Yes, but not "every" time, depends if it is a basement only job

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • No, Doesn't apply to my work detail (new construction)

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • I wear them into gas stations and stores, people notice, people call

Votes: 10 13.5%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a service plumber, and having large shoes to fill, I've incorporated the use of shoe condoms when working inside the customer's home.

I've found that the customer appreciates this a great deal, and it marks the experience far above the last service provider who didn't wear them.

There's times I've either forgot, or sometimes I'll intentionally (if they are not completely worn out) wear them into a gas station, home depot, lowe's, supply house and will instantly draw attention. Can't miss them especially when they are light blue and look clean.

Someone is always brave enough to ask me "why" and I'll gladly say:

"Customer gave me a tip for keeping his house clean, I figured I'd show them off for the reward."

And away I go.

It drives it home with the branding I wear for the company and my efforts that someone tries a little harder than the next guy. I am on that, constantly to try and do better.

I don't make a habit to always be seen outside the job with those on, but randomly I'll make an impression.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I believe in them for sure for the exact reasons you say. It protects their floors. If their floors are dirty and nasty it protects me. Truthfully can't say I wear them every time. I do have a stack of throws I keep washed and clean and use religiously.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes, if I'll be walking on carpet or hardwood. If my shoes are clean and it's tile, I'll sometimes let it slide. I always ring the doorbell with them on until I feel out where I'll be working.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Absolutely yes to wearing booties. What do you say to a client that states you do not need to wear those in here?

Reactions: DUNBAR PLUMBING

·
Canadian Red Seal Plumber
369 Posts
Absolutely yes to wearing booties. What do you say to a client that states you do not need to wear those in here?

I tell them you don't even want to know where these boot's have been ... and slip on the covers or take off my boot's(depending on the situation)

Lifer....

·
Welsh Sewer Cleaner
358 Posts
I wear these, they cost about 3 pence per pair, about 5 cents!
Every time I knock on a door I have a pair in my hand and spare pair in my pocket incase of splitages.
I wear these every job without fail.
And yes it does make a fantastic impression.

Attachments

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,622 Posts
they are ok

we wear them on occasion... depending on the home
and the situation.... some people like them and some dont care..

I have a little difficulty working and walking around in them... and I have come very close to tripping down a flight of stairs due to them.... one size fits all and if you wear a size 8 shoe, then you have some overhang to deal with...

we wont wear them when removing a water heater up a flight of stairs either... that is just like asking for a ride on the dolley back down to the basement....:laughing::no:

they do make you look a bit more professional,,, but in the snow outside it can be fun taking them off and back on again as you make trips to the truck....

for the price it is just a matter of getting used to wearing them, I would certainly prefer them in a darker blue or dark brown color instead of baby blue....:yes::yes:

maby the baby blue is supposed to be a sign of cleanlieness
but i would rather wear white ones

I suppose when you hand them the bill, the booties
can be looked at as aonther reason to pay the price stated....:laughing::laughing:

does anyone even know if they sell different colors...

·
Welsh Sewer Cleaner
358 Posts

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
As a service plumber, and having large shoes to fill, I've incorporated the use of shoe condoms when working inside the customer's home. <snip>

I wear covers where applicable. More importantly I don't buy work shoes/boots with those big heavy cleated soles. I buy smooth sole shoes ...

I'll tell about one of the last new homes I did. Job was in the finish stages stone driveway not yet paved. Job was being finished -- electrician runs out to his truck. Comes back in with trim for a canned light in the bath ceiling. Yep you guessed it right up on the the rim of a cast iron tub and the twists his feet to keep his balance. Stones caught in his boots. Builder says plumber you got a scratched tub here.

Bull$*it !!! Of course when walking in mud they don't make a mess untill the mud dries out in someones house.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I ran out of booties and my reusers were blown out. For what little service I have been doing in home, I find an old pair of crocs have been useful as of late. I slip my nasty sandy shoes off at the door, keep the laces loose for easy transfer for an ocaissional mad dash to the truck. Not to mention that as rediculously german as the crocs and socks look... it is the Utopian Bliss of comfort. For me booties can be a pain. They never fit right and I also witnessed plumbers truckin across the driveway with them on. I simply tell my customers they are safer. I have also slipped on a ladder wrung even with the textured bottom ones.

Either way what I do I make good and sure my clients know I care about there homes. There is nothing safer than a chemical resistant tarp to have in someones home.

Here is a tip I learned from a good service outfit I once worked for. "Creative care works..." You can buy a large 5' x 20' acid resistant runner for about ten bucks at Sherwin Williams or equal. The ones from SW out last the HD ones by far and are nice fabric to work with than the stiff never soften ones from HD. Cut it in 5' increments. Fold the edges in 1" - 2". Run a quick bead of hot glue and put a 2 x 4 on the top with a moderate weight. It makes a nice easy clean edge. Make a template out of card board with the words WE CARE. Lay it on the tarp and sponge in Purple primer or wood stain. It makes a cheap neat looking reliant mat for a tech to lay down. DO NOT USE CHEAP SPRAY PAINT like orange marking paint. For big jobs you can leave it uncut and use 2" PVC for storage. Runners are huge liability savers. Particularly chemical resistant.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you leave the booties on when you make trips back and forth to your truck, that is the same as the deli clerk who goes to the bathroom wearing the same gloves he comes back out and makes your sandwhich with! You have to take the booties OFF at the door on the way out.

For light duty service calls, one way to deal with this is to simply take your shoes OFF going in the door.

·
Hecho In America
4,161 Posts
As a service plumber, and having large shoes to fill, I've incorporated the use of shoe condoms when working inside the customer's home. <snip>

I wear covers where applicable. More importantly I don't buy work shoes/boots with those big heavy cleated soles. I buy smooth sole shoes ...

I'll tell about one of the last new homes I did. Job was in the finish stages stone driveway not yet paved. Job was being finished -- electrician runs out to his truck. Comes back in with trim for a canned light in the bath ceiling. Yep you guessed it right up on the the rim of a cast iron tub and the twists his feet to keep his balance. Stones caught in his boots. Builder says plumber you got a scratched tub here.

Bull$*it !!! Of course when walking in mud they don't make a mess untill the mud dries out in someones house.
Eggzactly, no Doc Martin 4X4 cleated boots for me.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
Ive been wearing shoe covers since the early 70s.

Mark

Reactions: DUNBAR PLUMBING

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
I have never worn them, and don't think I ever will. I buy new work shoes often and wipe well.

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
We always take off our boots when working in some ones house .... it is a sign of respect to take your shoes or boots off.

If we have to ... we use drop sheets....

Never bought those things and never will

1 - 20 of 86 Posts