Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a guy who called because his hot water stinks and asked for a price on a replacement anode.

Flag number 1 he asked the price right away.
Flag number 2, he bought a hardware store water heater and had it delivered which tells me it was a pirate who installed it. (1 year old heater)

I would tell him if it still smells I do not take ownership of the problem nor any guarantee it works.

Maybe I have my answer already.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Got a guy who called because his hot water stinks and asked for a price on a replacement anode.

Flag number 1 he asked the price right away.
Flag number 2, he bought a hardware store water heater and had it delivered which tells me it was a pirate who installed it. (1 year old heater)

I would tell him if it still smells I do not take ownership of the problem nor any guarantee it works.

Maybe I have my answer already.
Tell him your price and you’ll find out for sure.😏

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
I’ve replaced anode rods before. Mostly for repeat customers. We give no guarantee if it will work. I have cut the rod out completely, with a warning of what could/will happen. Obviously that voids the warranty, but when we have a warranty heater we bring it back to the supply house, they peal the name plate off and set it outside for the scrap guy. So if there’s no rod, no one really knows.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree: You may want to steer clear of this customer. I'd tell him that by working on that W/H, you may be voiding his warranty. And as you say, no warranty at all can be given by you.
Hardware store bought water heater are only 1 year warrantee. Anyway as I was waiting in line to get myself a sandwich he texted me again for a quote. I replied I didn't have time.

·
philosopher and statesmen
8,358 Posts
Replaceing anode rods is for DIYers only.... I get calls on occasion from DIYers all the time fretting about
the anode rod in their heaters..... They read this crap about how much longer you will get out of one if you
change the rod....

most are just too tight to have a plumber actually perform this task...

·
Reverend, R.S.E., Master Plumber
Nice Head, what’s in the bag?
2,357 Posts
Replaceing anode rods is for DIYers only.... I get calls on occasion from DIYers all the time fretting about
the anode rod in their heaters..... They read this crap about how much longer you will get out of one if you
change the rod....

most are just too tight to have a plumber actually perform this task...
yep! 100% agreed. I’ll do it if they INSIST, are willing to pay and it comes out easy. Other then that.. go away.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve quit replacing water heater parts. They just get a new water heater or nothing.

I’m done with the “you touched it last,” call back game.
You can do like Tommy does replace every part in it, both thermostats and both elements.

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are so many rules up there you can't charge enough to make it worth your while anyway so my answer would be a firm no!
I tallied my running around and it was about the same price he paid for the heater alone.

Now that I rose the rates due to inflation a whole more people calling back to cancel and get angry when I tell them the rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts