Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a friends house today, he had just installed a kohler K-304 diverter with a K-405 transfer valve feeding shower head, hand held and tub spout. Shower holds tempature for 2-3 minutes and then runs cold. I would have probably fed the tub spout directly and sent water to the transfer valve by way of the diverter spout, but I really don't see how the way he piped it would effect tempature fluctuation. He has oil boiler with hot water coil and had no mixing valve I thought that maybe somehow pressure lost through coil might be affecting balancer, so I installed mixing valve on coil but it made no diffrence. Any thoughts out there

P.S. why do you always have problems helping friends and family?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like the tankless can't produce the GPM that you need. Assuming that only one showerhead operates at a time, you need approx 2.5 GPM. Problem is, that is at 50psig. If you are running a higher pressure, than you are pushing more water through the coil and proper heat transfer can't take place.

Try installing a flow regulator (I use Watts P-3) and a thermostatic mixing valve (Honeywell/Braukman AM100 series).

Hope this helps:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts