Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Master Plumber
39 Posts
Delta (bonnett)

Is there a good trick to remove an old stuck bonnet on an older-style Delta pressure-balanced tub/shower valve? I've twisted as hard as I dare (both ways - trying to break it loose), with back-wrench. I've WD-40'd, I've tapped it, talked nice to it, cursed it. I finally gave up on that.

If I don't hear any ideas here I'm going to carefully cut it with the 4-1/2" grinder and snap it, then replace it (with lube this time).
I have ran in to alot of these being frozen, I usally heat it with my turbo torch (the bonnet) then it usaly spins right off with my channel locks. Note you will have to replace all of the inside parts due to the heat destroys them.
If that don't work cut it with a tiny tim hack saw but don't go all of the way threw it then a hammer and a flat screw driver will split it so you don't dammage the threads on the body. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I hate doing it cause you have to be careful not to twist the copper tubes on the faucet body, but if you take a pipe wrench and tap on the wrench with a hammer they will come off. I allittle shock by striking it with the hammer is better than trying to unscrew it with brute force.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I hate doing it cause you have to be careful not to twist the copper tubes on the faucet body, but if you take a pipe wrench and tap on the wrench with a hammer they will come off. I allittle shock by striking it with the hammer is better than trying to unscrew it with brute force.
Phew! I think I'd go with heat before doing that! :whistling2:

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
I can't remember on what forum I learned about the heat, but it was after I twisted the body on the Delta in my house. I ended up having to sweat a new Mintcraft in, thru the valve cutout. Now I just put a drop cloth down, apply pressure with the channellocks and heat it, as soon as it hits the right temp, it just spins right off.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Skip the beating, heating, or hammering with a screwdriver. Use a super lube aerosol and wait 5-10 minutes. Do all the banging and torching you want, spraying on an aerosol lube will make it come off simply with your hand. Easy Squeezy.
Awesome intro! Oh wait, you don’t have one. Go the into section and read the stickies and comply. If you are a plumber, it will make your life easier here.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts