Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned this before in this thread: http://www.plumbingzone.com/f22/we-would-like-these-products-changed-3302/

Everysingle time I get a bad thermostat call it's an Apcom brand thermostat. I think I'm on a streak of like 50 bad Apcom brand thermostats in a row. It has gotten to the point now that I don't even break out the multi-meter anymore. I just pop the cover off and if it's an Apcom then I know what the problem is.
The defect seems to be that the plastic case that holds the contacts breaks apart at the seem where the two halves are joined. When this happens the stat is lock in the "on" position and the high limit trips (hopefully).

So far the electric resistance heaters that seem to use Apcom thermostats are:

State, AO Smith, and Bradford white (sorry guys, but it's true).

Pictures to follow.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
American water heaters= Whirlpool water heaters=Premier water heater

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still thermodisk in the American heaters. There seems to be a misconception about companies buying out other companies. Just because company "A" buy's out company "B" does not mean that everything companies "A" and "B" make are now the same thing. :no:

I will tell you that as soon as American standard bought Rheam out, Rheams quality control dive bombed. You can thank Meixcan Standard for that one.

What about the new ones since AO Smith bought American. Are they going to switch to Thermodisk?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts