Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finished up one job that I had been working on for about two weeks and go to start the next one. This is that outdoor Firepit I was asking about last week. Anyhow, I spoke to HO a few days ago (when I was actually scheduled to start) to let them know I would be delayed a few days. She asks me when can the mason start. I tell her after Monday. I get there around noonish and there he is doing the footings for everything. He is in the middle of pouring. I walk up and see what he is doing and it just sorta slipped out, "what the f*cu are you doing"?

He turns around and looks at me and says what. What are you doing here, I haven't done any of the gas lines, why are you doing footers? Get this...this tit had the balls to tell me this "I didn't have anything to do today".

So now I gotta trench under his sh*t which is going to set me back atleast half a day.
I haven't spoken to the HO yet but it screwed me up because I had materials for that portion of the job. Back to the shop to pick up other mats. By the time I started working, I had maybe 3 hrs in it today before the sun went down. I'm too tired and sore to give a sh*t right now, but tomorrow I'll be cursing. :no:

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
I hate when that happens.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
:eek: Plumbing goes first, everything else follows! Sounds like a little extra $$$ is due, I think it all depends on the conversation you had witht eh owner before starting the job.

Were they aware you needed to get you pipe in before the Mason went in ?? If they knew the order of the trades, and then screwed up by letting the mason in, then they need to pay for the extra work.

I just did a fire pit and outdoor sink this summer, the owner was very aware that all my stuff went in first, the gas, the drain, the water, everyone worked around me, it worked great, I was back at the house the other day, the stone and everything turned out very nice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree, someone owes you the money for your extra work. If the mason decided to go ahead and do his work ahead of schedule without letting anyone know then it's him. If the homeowner/GC gave him permission then he/she owes you. You shouldn't have to eat the extra work because the mason decided to change the schedule.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Mason did it on his own. He was told he could start after Monday. No one let him in, it's the back yard and he let himself in as no one is home during the day.

I got alot done today and I'm tired as all hell. I was informed I will be getting a Christmas tree tomorrow, as well as putting up the lights. My family didn't seem to care too much that Sunday is healing day. Maybe next week I can relax a little.

Hay Robert. the OD fireplace you did, did you just do a normal log lighter or something else. I still haven't figured out a way to make the fire pit the way the client wants it. Need some ideas on that. Has anyone ever made a custom log lighter of sorts?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Has anyone ever made a custom log lighter of sorts?
We used to make flame sticks out of type L copper tubing on residential new construction jobs all the time, we would hook them up to the gas line and light them for a place to get warm in the wintertime.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
The Mason did it on his own. He was told he could start after Monday. No one let him in, it's the back yard and he let himself in as no one is home during the day.

I got alot done today and I'm tired as all hell. I was informed I will be getting a Christmas tree tomorrow, as well as putting up the lights. My family didn't seem to care too much that Sunday is healing day. Maybe next week I can relax a little.

Hay Robert. the OD fireplace you did, did you just do a normal log lighter or something else. I still haven't figured out a way to make the fire pit the way the client wants it. Need some ideas on that. Has anyone ever made a custom log lighter of sorts?

I didn't want any part of that, I just stubbed up 3/4" and the customer is going to have a BBQ / Fireplace company come out and do a professional install. We have a local company that does that sort of thing. I stubbed the 3/4 up about 2" above the finished rock work, so if they have to reduce to 1/2", it wouldn't be an issue. everything worked out great.

·
Always Something
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, that was my next plan of action. We have a few custom BBQ places up here that I have been to a few times. This aspect may be a learning experience. There was a GC that did a really nice OD kitchen..or so I thought. After re-doing 3/4 of the electrical on it, I happened to stumble upon a white PVC line that had no reason to be there. Wound up this tard used sch 40 pvc for all the gassing for the bbq and pit. I disconnected it and gave her a price...we shall see. thx.

Hay Killer, know what we do out here to stay warm? Wear pants instead of shorts!! hehe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts