Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I tried different methods to keep the dust down when cutting tile or fiberglass. I tried opening windows, fans, water using a spray bottle. One time I cut out a sink imbedded in tile and when the woman of the house came home, she was so upset at her now WHITE interior, walls floors, furniture..... she started BAWLING. :cry:
I finally figured out that if I took my filter off my shop vac, (filter gets plugged up too fast when cutting tile) set my vac up outside, run an extension cord inside so I could plug in or unplug when needed, and get about 5 or 6 extra hose extensions and bring the end of the hose in where Im working. Then I cut with my Makita grinder with a 5 inch diamond blade with one hand, and my shop vac hose in the other, sucking all those TEARS outside, making the neighborhood nice and white, just like Christmas.:santa: Better than in the house. Good for cutting sheetrock too.:yes:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
Based on my clean room experience. Take 10 minutes to seal off your work area with 4 mil plastic. Leave a hole somewhere for air to get in and still use the shop vac outside.

Painters tape and plastic is my friend.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I'm sure the neighbors love you . . . NOT!

Great idea for the home you are working in, but a next door neighbor with an open window may not be too happy. Drywall dust travels like pollen and coats everything. I guess its only a problem depending on how close the neighbors are.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I use the Dremel Multi-tool, it is designed after the Fein Tool, it is like a cast cutter and works really well, the dust just drops straight down not flying everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts