Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had to cut into a cast iron stack in a basement, when it leads to a first and or second floor bath and then through the roof of an old house? Obviously there is going to be a lot of weight, and you don't know how well it's supported in the walls if at all. If in the process of cutting a wye or cleanout in, the stack drops at all, big problem:cry:. Suggestions?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Yes clamp it in the attic, I did one a while back this was the only way to keep it from crashing back into the garage.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Its code here to support vertical cast at every story, although I have yet to see any of them do that way.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
Riser clamp totaly. Sell them one on everyfloor. Tell them you noticed that the stack was not secured properly which could lead to bigger problems down the road.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Riser clamp totaly. Sell them one on everyfloor. Tell them you noticed that the stack was not secured properly which could lead to bigger problems down the road.

Thats the exact one I used.

·
new nickname:Quaker State
1,204 Posts
good ole hanger iron, or plumbers strap most call it. Just wrap it around the pipe just below a joint in the pipe and nail to the stud on each side. Or, like Rockstar suggested, use a riser clamp.

·
Senior Moment
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. Put in friction clamp(s) and band iron where ever possible. I thought of using band iron but feared it might not be enough, but didn't think of the friction clamps.

·
Illinois Licensed Plumber
4,253 Posts
Everyone we do we install a friction clamp in the attic and on the first floor. If you can not access it the soil pipe from the first floor then do it in the basement as suggested and nail in 2x4" for the friction clamp to rest on.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's always dangerous cutting that cast. There might easily be four or five hundred pounds of iron and rust hanging there. I have used band-iron, usually the heavier stuff, and wrapped it around the closet tee hub or something like that. You can even hang it in a couple of places to make it more secure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts