Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Given the costs (1.00 per mailing) Should I send a follow-up?

• Yes if you can afford it

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No, concentrate on the NOW

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done work for a great deal of customers, just like the rest of you.

But I can sit here and think back to jobs I did 6 years ago and I can remember the job, I can remember what I did...

But I cannot remember the names or phone numbers, no way. Even people I worked for heavily at one time, hard to remember their name. Know where they live but that's it when I'm in the neighborhood.

Now how should anyone expect to remember their plumber, a service provider no less from years prior? Remember that even though you spent time in their house, there's no way for them to even possibly remember who you was unless they are keepers of every receipt out there, and then again, what makes you think they'd keep a receipt from a bad experience from so many years ago?

I ask myself this question lately as I keep busy normally week to week and if all these people called right now, I'd be effing screwed. No way I had bad experiences with them all, no way. I think it's the role reversal played out by the same things we do as consumers ourselves and there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

"Sometimes" people just want to use someone besides you, for whatever reason. They might like selection or feel the next guy offers something the last didn't.

I know that they say on average that people encounter plumbing problems once a year. I know from others and my personal experiences that the statement isn't true; it can go years before any problems crop up, and they might be simplistic ones that the property owner can take care of themselves.

Should I dig up all my old invoices and send out business magnets again along with a small discount coupon.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I keep a database of all my customers in Quickbooks. Every 6 months or so, I'll send out a $10 coupon postcard as a reminder to them. I figure it at least reminds them who their last plumber was, even if they don't keep the postcard.
Carl, that is a great suggestion. As I start my plumbing only Company I intend to do the same. We use a program called MarketSharp for tracking sales leads and customers for my remodeling/plumbing business. It is strictly customer database with a ton of marketing bells and whistles.
A great way to reachout to more business is radius mailers. When you do work for one happy client you can do a mailer of a one mile radius of that home.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
Same problem remembering clients here to. Keeping a D-Base for us is a must as well. I've been in arguments with costomers about which toilet I rebuilt, to win an argument like that I have to call back in to have the wife look at the details on the invoice. Also keep warrenty info., job specific info., and notes along with that, ie.. I have a couple of clients, that after we agree on my flat rate price, I do the job and it's time to get paid, then they want a discount... If I had to remember each of these clients I'ld be P.O.'ed cause I can't rember s--t. but with my notes I know to mark the price up a little first so I have something to give back.
We also use the D-Base for mailings, coupons, quarterly promotions, etc.. Just sent one out for Greeny's on how to conserve and save $$$. We also send out survey's by mail, make "happy calls", plaster the heater and disposer with magnets and stickers. Try to get in there face and in there mind as often as we can (T.O.M.A.)= top of the mind awareness. Even if they don't have a problem, they know and remember who to refer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Customers forget who they had in there house with in 90 days. I'm told. If you are sending out coupons twice or more a year I would make sure you have some type of expiration date or "One coupon per visit". I have had Customers try to hand me like 10 $10 off coupons. What do you mean I cant get $100 off a $200 call" WTF

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good Just thought I would toss that out. I have seen many who don't.

I was working for a franchise and they never had that on the coupons. The biggest pain in the :censored: ever.

·
Plumbing Contractor
972 Posts
How

How do you guys get the address to do such deeds? I thought of mailing out post cards to help advertise but never looked into how to get the address or what it would cost.

·
Banned
913 Posts
How do you guys get the address to do such deeds? I thought of mailing out post cards to help advertise but never looked into how to get the address or what it would cost.
Michael,

We use Quantummail.com to send out postcards. We handpick addresses, 200 at a time. They do the printing and mailing for you. Very easy to use and cost effective. There is no way I could print, address, and stamp for what they charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Instead of the mailings , we call our customers one week or so after we worked there , it seems to work real well , and most of our cutomers remerber us after it ,warm & fuzzy , we also have our name and # on all valve handles [ wolverine brass ] , i Thought about sending out mailings , but haven't done it yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts