Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I go set a supplied Cadet 3 today, I get there and I already see tape on the outside of the box, 1st clue it was a return from someone else, I ask where she got it, yep, Hell Depot, look at the bottom of toilet, 2nd clue, some wax on the bottom, ok so tell cust about it, she said no biggie install it, ok I do, no dam bowl caps. All else went fine.

:censored:This pisses me off the most about HD or others, thet don't check on returns for completeness, they tape of the boxes and put back on the shelf, just another rant about HD that's all.

Thanks for listening.

·
Plumbing and Gas SCO
1,437 Posts
It's not just HD. I needed a replacement blower for a Bradford White PDX2-50T6FBN heater last week because the 4 month old one was howling. The wholesaler said no problem about sending me a new one, but they would charge me for it and send a credit when they recieved the faulty back. I call the HO with the good news that there was one in stock and Iwould install it the next day. I get the "new" blower from the trucking company, open the DUCT TAPED box and see a blower with dust and solder all over it. The customer was stuck without hot water so I installed it anyways. It worked but when I checked my account I had been charged for a new one!:furious:. There was no cost to the HO for the replacement, she is just happy to be able to shower again and didn't care that it was used. Still trying to sort it out with the Wholesaler.

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
I thought they had to return used toilet back to manufacter??? I sure wouldn't want a used toilet in my house or ridding in my nice carpeted back floor board or seat of my wifes jeep

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told the HO to not take open boxes again.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I always give my speech to HO when they supply material.... It never helps but it makes me feel better.:yes:

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
It is a code violation in Chicago to reinstall used fixtures, unless they are going back in their original positions.

It is a violation of National Health Code for anyone to sell a toilet seat that has been returned.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I put a HO supplied disposer in one time. It was short the outlet elbow.

I told him I would wait here on the clock while you drive back to lowes for another one. Or, I can leave right now and try to reschedule in a couple weeks. I sat in the truck for an hour and a half while he drove the 60 mile round trip to lowes.

He always had me supply all parts after that. Go figure:yes:

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
Lady done wrong

KTS: Sorry off topic for a sec.

I know you always mention it against code here! Does your code inforcement really go out to every job????

Here we have inspectors that can't tell there A$$ from a hole in the ground. The licensing board don't have the man power or time to go and check job sites for license Plumbers. Only God and the HO that just got screwed over by the scum bag!

Reason I'm a little bent out of shape is. I went to look at a sewer replacement job and went into the ladies basement and her drain pipe looked like some type of Kings Island ride (This lady is in a wheel chair for life can't go down stairs to see if she was done right.) I took pic and shown her what I found. :furious::censored::furious: If I could find that piece of :censored::censored: I would turn him in after I beat him up side the head for doing that to the helpless lady in the wheel chair. The poor lady said the man was a License Plumber. :eek::blink:

I know my laws, rules and regulatons just wish we had the enforcement like I gather you have up where you live.:cry::cry:

OK I feel a little better!

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
I don't reinstall fixtures for the simple fact that it is taboo to do so.

I learned back in the 80's that no matter what the hell you try to "reuse"... it will leak/break/having you coming back to do it over again.

Learned my lesson years ago and that was the end of that nonsense.

I hear there's landlords that will reinstall used water heaters...no thank you.

·
Banned
913 Posts
No (very little) code enforcement in SC either! The rules are on the books to pull a permit for certain job, then you go to pull a permit and they say "Oh, you don't need a permit for that."

One small city officially requires a permit for any job over a $100.00. Every job is over $100.00. Can you imagine every plumber pulling a permit under this scenario? Very confusing for the plumber to know what he is supposed to do.

·
Registered
584 Posts
No (very little) code enforcement in SC either! The rules are on the books to pull a permit for certain job, then you go to pull a permit and they say "Oh, you don't need a permit for that."

One small city officially requires a permit for any job over a $100.00. Every job is over $100.00. Can you imagine every plumber pulling a permit under this scenario? Very confusing for the plumber to know what he is supposed to do.
We have one town here like that. You have to pull a permit to change a washer in a faucet, a wax ring, etc. They actually enforce it and will yoke your license in that town if you get caught working without it. You should see customers jaws drop when they see the $200 permit fee ($125 to the town and $75 to us for filing it) on top of their bill. We charge $550 plus $50 tax to change a wax ring in that town.

As for customer supplied materials if you supply it the warranty is for workmanship only. We just had a faucet this week that was bad out of the box. We supplied it and it wasted an hour and a half returning it. Had the customer supplied it they may have saved a twenty dollar markup but it would have cost them $250 in labor.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
A month or so ago I installed a ho supplied utility sink and faucet. It was the cheapest piece of crap sink and faucet I have ever seen. I think I might have even posted about it here or at CT. The plastic sink was barely thicker than a trash bag and there was no visible component of the faucet that was not plastic. I warned her at the time that this was not really what she wanted but she insisted that she just needed something that would look decent because she was about to put her house on the market.

I just left her house about an hour ago. One of the supplies popped off of the plastic faucet stem. She thinks maybe one of the workmen who had been there accidentally did it when he was washing his hands yesterday. It flooded her downstairs, destroyed the cabinet and had her on the verge of tears.

I did NOT give her the "I told you so". I just reassured her that it was going to be alright and gently but forcefully suggested that she let me provide the sink and faucet this time. She agreed.

·
waterheaterzone.com
2,043 Posts
A month or so ago I installed a ho supplied utility sink and faucet. It was the cheapest piece of crap sink and faucet I have ever seen. I think I might have even posted about it here or at CT. The plastic sink was barely thicker than a trash bag and there was no visible component of the faucet that was not plastic. I warned her at the time that this was not really what she wanted but she insisted that she just needed something that would look decent because she was about to put her house on the market.

I just left her house about an hour ago. One of the supplies popped off of the plastic faucet stem. She thinks maybe one of the workmen who had been there accidentally did it when he was washing his hands yesterday. It flooded her downstairs, destroyed the cabinet and had her on the verge of tears.

I did NOT give her the "I told you so". I just reassured her that it was going to be alright and gently but forcefully suggested that she let me provide the sink and faucet this time. She agreed.

I have had similar experiences. You handled it well brother! Keep selling like that with the customer's best interest in mind and you'll always prosper!:thumbup:

·
Registered
843 Posts
One of my biggest problems before flat rate was owner-supplied faucets and fixtures. There was far too much pressure to not put a markup on them and back then the markup was important. But now I have customer-supplied prices in the book that make me as much money as if I had supplied it and no guarantee on the parts.

If something supplied by a customer is too far over the junk line, I will refuse to install it. I don't need to be sued for someone's house being destroyed while they insist that I must have installed it incorrectly.

·
Banned
913 Posts
If something supplied by a customer is too far over the junk line, I will refuse to install it. I don't need to be sued for someone's house being destroyed while they insist that I must have installed it incorrectly.
We feel the same way. Sounds like Smellslike$2me got lucky. A different homeowner very well could have tried to sue claiming they didn't realize what damage could be caused by the faucet. As business owners, we can have all kinds of liabilities for a homeowner to sign off on - it doesn't mean it is enforceable or will withstand a lawsuit. Anyone can sue us and it will cost us to defend whether we are innocent or guilty.

A supplier told me that some plumbers around here hate installing customer supplied faucets so much that when the open the box, they will slide an important part into their pants. After the plumber disconnects the faucet, he acts as if he just realized all the new parts aren't in the box.

We don't do this and wouldn't respect someone who did . . .BUT, I can certainly see why plumbers are driven to do this.

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
We feel the same way. Sounds like Smellslike$2me got lucky. A different homeowner very well could have tried to sue claiming they didn't realize what damage could be caused by the faucet. As business owners, we can have all kinds of liabilities for a homeowner to sign off on - it doesn't mean it is enforceable or will withstand a lawsuit. Anyone can sue us and it will cost us to defend whether we are innocent or guilty.

A supplier told me that some plumbers around here hate installing customer supplied faucets so much that when the open the box, they will slide an important part into their pants. After the plumber disconnects the faucet, he acts as if he just realized all the new parts aren't in the box.

We don't do this and wouldn't respect someone who did . . .BUT, I can certainly see why plumbers are driven to do this.
You may be right. I will say this, I will not be installing this set up again regardless of what the ho wants. If I have to I will gracefully suggest to the ho that we might not be the right plumbing company for them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I let customers supply products but i tell them if there is issues with the product keep the manual to call the man. because its their product i'm labor only. I have customers all the time that get a new sink and want to re-use the faucet and strainers, that i wont do.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have customers all the time that get a new sink and want to re-use the faucet and strainers, that i wont do.
Deck mounted faucets we leave if they want to. If it's attached to the sink it gets replaced almost all the time. I say almost because their are rare exceptions where we will re-use a faucet if it's a good faucet that's fairly new or if we installed the faucet recently. Re-using strainers is just ridiculous though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts