Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ridgid tool user
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working under a government building replacing the cisp and replacing with pvc. Plenty of room under there being 18" and some places I have a little more. Our actual workspace opens up to about 3' which is huge. The crawlspace wasn't deemed a confined space so they say we can work under there but I feel like we need more ventilation. We're about 60+ yards away from the entrance and there's a screened grate about 20 yards in front of us. Getting high with pvc glue isn't my idea of fun. I was thinking about putting 2 fans at the opening to get some air movement. Any ideas?

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Working under a government building replacing the cisp and replacing with pvc. Plenty of room under there being 18" and some places I have a little more. Our actual workspace opens up to about 3' which is huge. The crawlspace wasn't deemed a confined space so they say we can work under there but I feel like we need more ventilation. We're about 60+ yards away from the entrance and there's a screened grate about 20 yards in front of us. Getting high with pvc glue isn't my idea of fun. I was thinking about putting 2 fans at the opening to get some air movement. Any ideas?
Respirators?

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can rent a confined space blower with hose. I would recommend it for long hours under there.

There was a death in Arkansas about 15 years ago from a man under a home with all the vents closed doing drain work. He was overcome by fumes and died of asphyxiation.

He was not a plumber, but a handy man that didn't read the can. Those primer and glue fumes can be bad in close quarters and deadly over a period of time.

Fans might not move enough air.

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
Gear,
I was working in a crawl space last week in a school here with plenty of access. Then I was told to go to the other end of the school and work in the crawl space. The work area was 150 foot from the entrance and 3-4 foot tall. Osha book says that any space not designed for everyday use with only one way in and out in considered a confined space and that a air quality test machine is to be provided for the space. Well after being sick twice from being in the crawl space I did not go in, I just happened to get a call from another company wanting me to do com. service so I took the job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get a air tank, one of those for firefighters. Hope you have a buddy/partner also. I sure would have a helper/buddy and he'd be checking in with me every few minutes.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
I had the same feeling.
Hey guys!
Sounds like a party...
I'll join in...
How can a party animal like me avoid this situation...
Maybe we should have a Helgore Chat Party....:laughing:

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
One thing to be careful about with respirators and supplied air masks is that they are something you really don't want to use unless they are absolutely required.

They must be selected so they are effective against the hazard, the user must recieve training, and there are specific procedures that have to be followed testing, cleaning, storing, and maintaining. A lot of it involves documentation too. A big OSHA headache.

If you own a business and an employee shows up using a respirator that he brought in on his own guess who gets gigged?:eek:

Even if you didn't even know about it!

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Get a air tank, one of those for firefighters. Hope you have a buddy/partner also. I sure would have a helper/buddy and he'd be checking in with me every few minutes.
I think I'd rather wear the one like scuba divers use, that way I can wear me swimfins! And my buddy can use the spear gun on those pesky critters!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts