Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
residential service
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to ask for pm responses on this so as not to encourage the diy crowd.

I see very little Moen in my area. In fact, I have never had to pull one of their cartridges although I do have both pullers on my truck (still in the bags).

I ran across a Crane, post war, pressure balanced shower valve that is completely frozen. I believe it is almost 60 years old but I'm not sure. Although it is a Crane faucet, I am 99% certain that it has a Moen cartridge (and apparently Moen, not having much luck selling their faucets during this era licensed their designs to other companies, one of whom was Crane, correct me if I'm wrong). I'm assuming that the o-rings are shot and that it's all scaled up but of course I do not know this for certain. It is my understanding that these can be very difficult to remove. This faucet is an extreme rarity for my neck of the woods and I have been given some advice by my parts supplier, of all people, on how to remove this cartridge if it does not want to come out with the removal tool. I am questioning this advice. I may or may not publicly post what I was told to do later but for you guys that see a lot of Moen, I'd like to hear (via pm or business lounge) how you might do this. Business lounge would actually be better so that any other pros might benefit from your knowledge but pm is fine too.

Also, once I get the old cartridge out, can I simply use a wire brush to clean up the valve body for the new cartridge or is this a big no no? What is the best way to clean the valve body if not via wire brush?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
You should not have to clean out the body at all.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Use your puller, it will come out. You may pull the inerds out though, then you will have to use your easy out to remove the brass shell. As mentioned above, no need to brush out anything. Just make sure there isn't anything left in the hole before you put the new one in. AND.. don't stick your finger in the hole, you may get it stuck!

Or, if the valve is that old just replace the valve.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Use your puller, it will come out. You may pull the inerds out though, then you will have to use your easy out to remove the brass shell. As mentioned above, no need to brush out anything. Just make sure there isn't anything left in the hole before you put the new one in. AND.. don't stick your finger in the hole, you may get it stuck!

Or, if the valve is that old just replace the valve.
The Moen Puller is designed to help remove the shell if the innards do come out first, no easy out is needed.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Maybe mines not a Moen puller then because there's nothing on it to pull out the inerds. The easy out works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Smells - I am completely unaware of any Moen/Crane collaboration. But then, I don't know of any Crane pressure-balance faucets, either. Pictures would be nice.

If it is like Moen - I use a 3/4" wire brush on the 1220 to clear the bore of lime. If you don't have hard water, it may not be a problem.

Here, if it's a brass Moen cartridge, you are not likely to get it out with any type of puller. By now, the O-rings have hardened and the buildup around it will result in destroying the body of the valve trying to get it out. Sometimes I get lucky, especially if there's a softener that works.

In the last two years or so, I've been running into plastic Moen cartridges that break off deep in the body.

I'm really amazed that you don't have Moen there - there are plenty of them here. I seldom run into Mixet - do you have those?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Here is the tool for Moen that will assist in the removal if the center pulls from the stem. That lock pin seen in the picture is the key.

Reactions: stillaround

·
Registered
344 Posts
Look at Ron's tool pic again and pay attention to the handle. That notch in the handle is there for a very important reason. Before trying to pull the cartridge, use that notch over the outer body of the cartridge and turn it back and forth (after removing the retaining clip) to help loosen it.

Once you have done that, most will pull out with little trouble.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Look at Ron's tool pic again and pay attention to the handle. That notch in the handle is there for a very important reason. Before trying to pull the cartridge, use that notch over the outer body of the cartridge and turn it back and forth (after removing the retaining clip) to help loosen it.

Once you have done that, most will pull out with little trouble.
I knew that:). Still, the easy out looks like it might extract better--am I wrong?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I haven't tried an ease out to pull a Moen cartridge. I would be afraid that it would expand too much and deform the body. The other problem is, how do you get the leverage on it to pull the sucker out of there?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I haven't tried an ease out to pull a Moen cartridge. I would be afraid that it would expand too much and deform the body. The other problem is, how do you get the leverage on it to pull the sucker out of there?
I havent a clue what see lounge means. On the rare occasions the guts come out it the easy out with a turn moves the housing enuf to yank out with channys or vise grip. I never thought about warp. Ive seen that tool but never knew what it was for.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Did you know the 1220 Moen Cartridge All brass is 4-3/16 Height and the 1225 B Plastic Cartridge is 4-7/8" Height

Now tell why is there such a difference in the height?

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Now I wounder if the web site I got the info from has it all backwards.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
This is where I got that info from

http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/pdf/single.pdf

See Page 52

See the brass cartridge, see the small holes in bottom of the body, that is where the lock pin ends up at, from there you can twist and pull with that tool I show. But only usable when center comes out 1st.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Does see lounge mean dont reveal trade secrets on open forum? Thanks--I see the cartridge--Im having a problem seeing the lounge.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts