Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
every tool is a hammer
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ever ran into this? I had my first one yesterday. I was able to dig the old barrel out, and thankfully the tool crib attendant had two barrels in his plumbing supply cabinet. I didn't have the black goop to seal it. because these are running threads, does that goop do a lot?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Yes that messy Permatex crap does seal the connection, without it it will always seep a little bit under heavy usage. In the past when I did new high rise work using wall mounted toilets we threw those plastic things away and made our own out of four inch galvanized pipe with tapered threads to minimize any chance of leakage.

·
Plumber Manhattan Beach
828 Posts
Yes that messy Permatex crap does seal the connection, without it it will always seep a little bit under heavy usage. In the past when I did new high rise work using wall mounted toilets we threw those plastic things away and made our own out of four inch galvanized pipe with tapered threads to minimize any chance of leakage.

Thats what I do to repair these, I use a galv nipple. geeze, for all this time I though I was the only one......:cry:

·
Louisiana Master Plumber
23 Posts
yes the older carriers had running threads. when the mechanic looses the factory sealer i use gasket sealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts