Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used it on my PEX jobs for the line from the T&P if it was an "enclosed space" where it wouldn't be easily bumped. I also used it to repair existing CPVC. Otherwise, since I left home (and my dad's business) I have never used CPVC.

Is it truly as crappy as I think it is or was I just being narrow minded?

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I used it on my PEX job for the line from the T&P if it was an "enclosed space" where it wouldn't be easily bumped. I also used it to repair existing CPVC. Otherwise, since I left home (and my dad's business) I have never used CPVC.

I use if for reliefs and only use flowguard gold by charlotte

·
Registered
396 Posts
I used it on my PEX jobs for the line from the T&P if it was an "enclosed space" where it wouldn't be easily bumped. I also used it to repair existing CPVC. Otherwise, since I left home (and my dad's business) I have never used CPVC.

no, it is crappier than you think. worst poo pile made, except for the work it provides.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I use flowguard here, copper is not a viable option for us. Hence cpvc and pex are the alternative. I will say I think we are headed for problems with it though. I find it odd that the fittings brown over time. Not to mention that I have witnessed long runs trough attics with no type of expansion loop. Even worse in those same attics the plumbers used pre loaded tube talons and took there 22 oz estwing hammers and drove the nails home nice and tight to the trusses causing strange noises when the pipe expands and contracts. Either way i will be interesting to see the outcome years down the road.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
It's every bit as crappy as you think and more.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Since I've been in Florida I've used a lot of it. It was not legal for me to use it in Iowa.

A few days ago I visited a new Burger King here in Daytona Beach. I'm standing at the urinal draining my anaconda and checking out the plumbing which is not easy with my middle age eyes without my readers. I saw a 1 inch cpvc male adapter sticking out the wall and wanted so bad to see how tight it was but I had to wait until I was done with my business, because as we all know, it takes two hands to handle a whopper. Anyway, when I was done and flushed the flushometer shifted on the urinal and in the wall. I don't think it was properly secured in the wall.

This will probably be a near future service call.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have just one word for you son...... Plastics

Let me ask a question here. Remember CPVC before flow-guard gold? Remember how crappy it was and how the new flow-guard was so much better? Turns out it's crap also. Now let's re-visit Polybutlyne. Remember how it was the new miracle pipe? Going to replace everything else on the market. Now here we are with pex and guess what folks, its like deja' vu all over again. Sure copper gets pin holes in it from bad water. But ask yourself. Have you ever seen copper catastrophically fail? I mean blow a properly swetted fitting off or just break off? Have you ever seen copper split lengthwise for no apparent reason? Plastics Baaaaaah.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
I'm already getting tons of cpvc slab leaks:thumbup:
Some of those slab leaks have probably been there since the begining. I seen more slabs busted by one of my old work places from CPVC leaks. Not enough glue, in a bind, not buried deep enough. Or, TOO much glue, and the fitting is clogged, in the slab. It sucks balls. But, I still use it sometimes, just very carefully.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I have just one word for you son...... Plastics

Let me ask a question here. Remember CPVC before flow-guard gold? Remember how crappy it was and how the new flow-guard was so much better? Turns out it's crap also. Now let's re-visit Polybutlyne. Remember how it was the new miracle pipe? Going to replace everything else on the market. Now here we are with pex and guess what folks, its like deja' vu all over again. Sure copper gets pin holes in it from bad water. But ask yourself. Have you ever seen copper catastrophically fail? I mean blow a properly swetted fitting off or just break off? Have you ever seen copper split lengthwise for no apparent reason? Plastics Baaaaaah.
Its gonna take some serious time and irrefutable evidence to move you .......I just hope ...really hope I never have to admit you were right:).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The only failed systems I have seen as of late have been improperly installed systems. I use CPVC because my clients as me to. No way would I even dream of installing copper with our water conditions here. Our industry needs a major overhaul and MFG needs a major ass kicking to develop better products, that withstand the our world a little better.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
The only failed systems I have seen as of late have been improperly installed systems. I use CPVC because my clients as me to. No way would I even dream of installing copper with our water conditions here. Our industry needs a major overhaul and MFG needs a major ass kicking to develop better products, that withstand the our world a little better.
Why not use the technology that already exists to treat the water as opposed to expecting manufacturers develop a wonder product that may never exist?

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Because the life cycle cost to own, operate and maintain said equipent
is an order of magnitude higher than the cost to install a well designed plastic system.

Why not use the technology that already exists to treat the water as opposed to expecting manufacturers develop a wonder product that may never exist?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts