Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think so. the plastic is soft at the point of contact. I'm starting to find info on this. This is from page 7 of the link to follow;
"Incorrect Clamps and Contact with Conduit/Wire: Another very common cause of occasional failure is
the use of the wrong type of support which places stress on the pipe. Also bending conduits around PVC
or CPVC pipe can place high localized stress on the PVC/CPVC pipes in contact with the conduit. Some
electrical wires, especially computer cables, should not be allowed to come into contact with PVC or
CPVC pipes because the outer flexible sheath may contain plasticizers which can migrate into the pipe
resulting in weakening and failure of the pipe.**Figure 6 shows a photograph of a CPVC fire sprinkler pipe
installation revealing contact of the pipe with electrical wire and a conduit – both should be avoided.**".
http://www.californiasprinklerfitters.org/files/WhyCPVC-OccasFail.pdf

·
Hydro Mechanic
615 Posts
I don't have reference material, but I have been told that DO NOT let cpvc touch Romex electrical wire. I'd put bets in the manufacturer specs of whatever brand cpvc it says that. I believe it says this for flow guard brand, for the reason of your picture.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Say what ?

I believe You, but it doesn't make any sense to Me . If the romex has a short ,a breaker would trip it before any heat build up

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts