Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Master Plumber
76 Posts
Any piping used for heating, that is buried in the ground is going to give you a problem. There is no room for expansion and contraction with the earth holding it tight in place.
I would try installing the lines in a bigger concrete utility pipe using the utility pipe as protection and with room for movement.
Thats why they make concrete tunnels for steam lines that go under ground, buildings,etc.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is a seperate glue company from the manufacturer of the pipe?

With Ipex for example, I'm pretty sure they make their own glue.

When you talk about expansion joints - are you talking about expansion loops (4 - 90's), or expansion joints like the ones that basically look like a bushing, a coupling, a reducing coupling, another bushing, and then a piece of pipe, and then a coupling types (ones I've used from Ipex on their Corzan CPVC).

·
Registered
356 Posts
hot water and CPVC is baaaad news. We do ALOT of repairs on this, especially recirc lines. That stuff really should be banned.

·
Muck me?
700 Posts
We went to a class and thier big thing was the right amount of glue on cpvc. if the swab dripped then its to much glue. An excess of glue will make it fail and crack.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
hot water and CPVC is baaaad news. We do ALOT of repairs on this, especially recirc lines. That stuff really should be banned.
There is a lot being used around here ( Wash. D.c. Area) . To be honest I have seen quite a bit that has been in a while and haven't seen many problems at all .

Still like copper .

Cal

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update, we went in and installed expansion joints in the lines. Even though I fought for a complete re-pipe. We went with the Metra Gator expansion joints, they run about a grand a piece but for the time being they are doing their job....

Attachments

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Just an update, we went in and installed expansion joints in the lines. Even though I fought for a complete re-pipe. We went with the Metra Gator expansion joints, they run about a grand a piece but for the time being they are doing their job....
For now.

All moving parts in a mechanical system are doomed to failure.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I wouldn't sweat a pvc water service in FL unless you are running several hundred feet. The ground temps don't fluctuate as much as they do up north.
I've installed expansion joints for all kinds of DHW systems and a few process systems. Used PVC for water services even, but I've never put an exp. jt. in on the PVC. Do I start to sweat this or what. I'm thinking not due to the avg. water temp. of the gnd water hear @ 77 F.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is disheartening news. I recently installed at one of my schools an 80 foot supply and return run of 1-1/2" cpvc heating pipe underground between buildings and all I used was thermocell insullation and some sand backfill. It replaced rusted out steel pipe. I hope I don't have any problems. This was 6 months ago. I bought it from Ferguson and did some research to see if it was up to the application. The sales rep said it would be fine. We shall see.:whistling2:

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I wouldn't sweat a pvc water service in FL unless you are running several hundred feet. The ground temps don't fluctuate as much as they do up north.
Hey bud I was reading the last post and it got me to thinking, with these last 2 cold snaps, I have been doing alot of water service repairs and leak repairs over the last 1.5 months wonder if this is due to the larger and longer cold spells we've been having...
No warrenty calls though...:)

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
I wouldn't think thermal expansion would be an issue on the municipal system since many homes have PRVs on the mains and water heaters. Any thermal expansion would be released by the PRVs.

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
I wouldn't think thermal expansion would be an issue on the municipal system since many homes have PRVs on the mains and water heaters. Any thermal expansion would be released by the PRVs.
Not many homes here with Pressure reducing valves, by law city cannot exceed 90 psi. For homes equipped sure thermal expansion devices could absorb it, but I think even in the normal operating ranges that are materials here on the pennissula aren't accostomed to. I can't remember having a temp swing in 2 days of 35- 40 since I lived in NY. Maybe it's just a phase but sure seems like alot. Who really cares, I'm working:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This is disheartening news. I recently installed at one of my schools an 80 foot supply and return run of 1-1/2" cpvc heating pipe underground between buildings and all I used was thermocell insullation and some sand backfill. It replaced rusted out steel pipe. I hope I don't have any problems. This was 6 months ago. I bought it from Ferguson and did some research to see if it was up to the application. The sales rep said it would be fine. We shall see.:whistling2:
It probly is, the problem that we were having was both boilers running at the same time in excess of 140 degrees. They also have an outside air sensor, to save on energy costs. When it is warm the boilers dont run as much, and our weather is crazy down here in the winter. It might be 70 for two days the drop to 20 for three. This is where all the expansion and contraction was taking place. It actully pulled the pipe out of the fittings because it moved so much, also the glue that was used wasnt bonding to the pipe as it should....

·
WILLPLUMB4$
584 Posts
It probly is, the problem that we were having was both boilers running at the same time in excess of 140 degrees. They also have an outside air sensor, to save on energy costs. When it is warm the boilers dont run as much, and our weather is crazy down here in the winter. It might be 70 for two days the drop to 20 for three. This is where all the expansion and contraction was taking place. It actully pulled the pipe out of the fittings because it moved so much, also the glue that was used wasnt bonding to the pipe as it should....
Did you use 1 or 2 step glue/ primer?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Did you use 1 or 2 step glue/ primer?
Not sure I follow you on the one or two step. But we primed and glued. It was pre-insulated joints of pipe. The straight runs held becauses there wasnt any insulation on the last 6 ins of pipe. The problem seemed to happen when we had to make cut pieces and strip the insulation off. The coating was hard to remove even after hitting it with a buffing wheel.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts