Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a "safe" amount for figuring just the materials, not the labor costs per fixture opening in new construction?

Not the cheapest, just slightly above cheapest products.

Ranch home, copper piping. I'll have to count the fixture openings but it's a standard 4 bath ranch with hose bibbs, floor drains.

Back in the day we used to figure $300 per opening, $100 apiece for floor drains and hose bibbs.

I've never taken that number and extracted what the materials covered, since it was industry average for most.

I understand that it fluctuates from area to area, that's a given. I just need a guestimate on a per fixture opening so I can give someone an idea for a donation project.

·
I aint CPV see in it?
4,896 Posts
450 per fixture, material and labor. sewer and water connections to the taps, tanks or meters or wells is time and material. Thats for basic builder grade fixtures, nothing fancy.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I'll do it for $399.99!
I don't get it, I've never bid a job that way. Every job is different, pipe length etc. I like to be accurate. Ok ok, I'll do it for $359.99, happy now? LOL

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, given that $450 per fixture number, what part of that is materials?

The reason I ask is because that church I'm supposed to be doing for goodness of the community is realistic that plumbing supply houses have absolutely no ability right now to donate materials...

and I've been out of new construction too long to make a correct asessement of the costs. I'm openly admitting I'm lacking brain power...call dr. phil before I think Oprah is a better choice. :blink:

The number will be in the thousands, just wanted to know so I'm at least somewhat close so it won't be used against me in the house of god. :rolleyes:

I told them I'd donate all the copper fittings, no copper pipe to this job, nothing else. Few hundred dollars is about all I'm willing to give, and I'd be willing to do the finish with all materials supplied to do so.

I'm afraid to let anyone know that I'm willing to do the finish because that attitude for the fellows doing the 1st and 2nd rough could really make my job harder than hell if they slop those measurements on drains/water lines.

I'd rather them think they were doing the finish, and then I come into the equation. I could run the copper....not a problem. Don't want to run plastic because I'm not fast enough. That's a fact and don't want to be around glue/cleaner anymore than I have to.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
$ 850 - $ 1,000 is the going rate around here ,,,,but thats for remodeling.

New work has got to be less due to the cut throats

Cal

Reactions: PLUMB TIME

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ya know, I've never bid a new home that way. I've always done it the old fashioned way....fitting by fitting, hanger by hanger.

Last 4 bath house I did was a couple years ago for a custom builder and the price was $15,200.00 less fixtures.

·
Former Moderator
9,817 Posts
Per fixture opening was invented by the builder so he could use it in his estimates and then find some plumber to agree to it. You can always, always find the one plumber who doesn't know any better and will do the job at below cost. Then he will scratch his head wondering how the other plumbers are doing it. In the meantime, he has lost money and cannot figure out the per fixture game.

Builder's grade is a wide range . . .

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but the thing is, no one is making money on this job. It's all donated time.

I personally know the framer, and his business is about to go bust. But he's still going to do this job even though the church will sign a document showing a massive tax deduction.

I don't even want the tax deduction. Don't want the video now either. I changed my priorities as fast as my underwear *once every two weeks* and I can't invest as much time as once thought.

I'd post PDF's of this building but plumbing is plumbing. I need to say 7 grand, 9 grand, something that jives closely. That way they know how to spend the donated money and figure out where they need to come up with the rest in donations.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
OK ,,,, good point . On BUILDER S**T .

Remodel is a TOTALLY different beast ,,,,, agreed ??

Cal

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Cab you guess how much pipe you may need? 4 baths in a ranch. are they located on different ends of the house? whats the dimensions of the house? You could get the dimenstions then figure were the bathrooms will be etc. then figure worst case then figure in the fixtures. just call your supplier and get a price on 4 of whatever tun 4 toilets 4 sinks etc. then figure in the water heater hose bibbs etc etc. then see what that comes to per fixture. otherwise i have bid labor and material at 700-1000 per fixture depending on fixtures used etc. shouldn't be too hard.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I would never do it that way. Sit down with the plans and figure it out. Don't forget, it's a commercial building. You have to figure in your plan review costs, permits etc.

·
LeMarr Plumbing, Inc.
772 Posts
Never did it per fixture.

I am SO glad I am service and repair w/ flat rate. I got so board with new homes.

In Christ,

Song Dog

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Okay someone just lie to me, I don't care.

I was thinking around $200/fixture unit for materials.

$100/faucet
$200/tub/shower
$100/lav faucet
$100 toilet

4 into $500 would be 1.9...or $200/per fixture opening.
does that take into account the copper pipe and the dwv pipe? plus kitchen and water heater.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts