Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part

And people wonder why I use 3/4DUF's on water heater replacements. :blink:

Even the defective thermal expansion tank, the innards of the 3/4FIP was corroded almost shut, even though the copper was not harmed.

This is a legal connection in the state of KY, and I constantly see this type of situation where there is a first row of threads that is in the equation of water and copper, and it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Very nice for sure. They don't make you pipe T&P out of the building? They do here but honestly if there's a floor drain nearby I pass. I drop it to the floor as yours is. But if being inspected say for a gas meter reconnect, I would have to pipe it out.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
The tank it self is steel so at some point you gave to switch to a galvanic buffer metal(certain stainless steels, brass) or dielectric fitting.

Why is there copper to galv? Why not run all in copper?

·
The Old (antique) Master
2,246 Posts

·
www.DunbarPlumbing.com
5,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

And people wonder why I use 3/4DUF's on water heater replacements. :blink:​

<snip>

No question is a stupid question but would you elaborate on 3/4DUF's. I assume dialectric union fitting. But I am not sure!

Yes, it's slang for that connection.

Finished install looks good. :thumbsup: Drip leg looks a little short, just my 2 cents.

I switched from old to new heater without adjusting, I believe code in my area is within 4" of the floor, to which i use my foot as a gauge. If the pipe doesn't hit the toe, I usually take a 3/4" coupling and short piece to add on.

That looks like a basement, should'nt the old water heater be beside the new one :laughing: :jester: just messin with ya looks good.

This customer has back problems just like I do, and I told him the day before I wouldn't pull that heater. This is a 500,000 patio home in this subdivision and he contacted the builder to see about getting a couple hands to remove it.

Builder sent out 2 guys at 4:30pm sharp, I had it drained and they carried it out the back door and up a steep snow covered hill to their work vehicle. Worked out beautiful and the customer cared more about the hot water than anything.

I gotta callback on this one right now, but it's 145+ pounds of pressure beating down on my new PRV and I'm going to have the water district install a high pressure PRV at the meter pit, then I'll replace the one that's vibrating. It might quit once the pressure is dropped but I'd rather have a new one in.

·
Canadian Red Seal Plumber
369 Posts
All the bustin on poor Dunbar you guy's do and no one has seen the exp. tank is not supported ?......

Oops, I did ...

Here the minimum size drip leg is 3" on 1/2" pipe..

Looks very neat and clean nice install.
Lifer..

·
Hecho In America
4,161 Posts
All the bustin on poor Dunbar you guy's do and no one has seen the exp. tank is not supported ?......

Oops, I did ...

Here the minimum size drip leg is 3" on 1/2" pipe..

Looks very neat and clean nice install.
Lifer..
That's okay, he designed it so when it rots off, it will miss the heater and drop onto the floor, great design. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.