Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I'm in the Phoenix metro area and doing mainly residential service. I'm wondering what others around the country are doing to maintain business. I've got a large list of clients (open since 1985). Problem I'm seeing is that Nobody is doing anything they absolutely don't have to .. and along with that a ton of them are DIY. I also handle the home warranty stuff .. but .. when homes don't sell .. they don't sell policies, and that has dropped about 50 - 60% since this time last year. I switched over to Realtor's handling the large amounts of repo's for the banks and was doing well with that .. up until about 2 -3 months ago and now the bank's aren't doing Anything to fix up the trashed homes at all .. they're selling them at auction As Is .. period ! I'm at a point where it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what to do ! I also got in with a couple of property management co's .. everything started out ok and then .. the owners of the properties decided that doing what needed done was to costly and the property management people want me to fix things with bubble gum, tie wire and then guarantee it like it was fixed the way it should have been, in the 1st place ?

What's a guy to do ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm in yet another slow period, too. I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with the rising cost of everything - people just don't have the money to spend.

Of the jobs you do, how many are fixing something that someone else messed up?

Here, people are turning to Homey for their plumbing - DIYs all.

Last weekend, I walked around hanging door hangers in a nice area of town. So far, nothing. I'll keep doing that for a while if my legs hold up. :laughing:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Herk,

I agree with your 1st line for sure !

I would have to say 10 - 15% of fixing their mess. Being Arizona (On the border !) we've got all the Homey's you want .. their name is Jose' or Hector and they are coming to a town near you soon ! I had a call to see how much to install a faucet .. when I told them my price they said "Oh .. I just had my last one installed by my landscaper/sprinkler guy for $25 bucks .. I can't believe you want That much .. it's just a faucet !" I charge $50 S/C & $82.50 to install their faucet (yes guys, flat rate .. only way to go) + any additional parts.

I told her she should use him again and she said .............. "I can't get ahold of him .. he moved back to Mexico". ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!! I told her she should check the penny saver, and hung up.

I've seen in here where some other guys talked about door hangers and the results they got. Around here I'd be competing with Jose's sons for space on the door knob ! I hope you get some calls from them. Every area is different and get different results.

I'm interested in finding out what area people are targeting for service work and getting results .. property managers, investors etc. Who's buying ?

I've done alot of work in vacant homes (trashed repo's) where I placed my sticker on the G/d's W/H's .. anything not already stolen. In hopes that when someone buys it and needs a plumber .. I've already got exposure in their new home (God only knows when that'll be !). I've even put my stickers on the water supply line where the w/h was stolen Hahahahaha !

There's going to be alot of work once things get moving again .. it's the mean time I, like alot of us are trying to stay alive through.

Hope your legs hold out, And you get a ton of calls from your efforts !!!!

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
It's bad everywhere, our local has almost 600 guys out of work, our guys are only getting three days a week, and I doubt it will end anytime soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep .. things are bad for sure .. for everyone ! I get 3 or 4 calls a week from guys looking for work. 600 a week in stupid sales calls looking to sell me stuff I don't need !

Are you doing service, construction or remodel work as your primary ?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Yep .. things are bad for sure .. for everyone ! I get 3 or 4 calls a week from guys looking for work. 600 a week in stupid sales calls looking to sell me stuff I don't need !

Are you doing service, construction or remodel work as your primary ?
Our shop mostly does very high end co-op remodeling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work with low competition .. very cool !

BTW .. how big is that sucker in your icon .. looks to be about 6 - 7" wide ? I'll bet you grabbed your camera, took the shot, hit the handle and watched him get dizzy ?

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Nice work with low competition .. very cool !

BTW .. how big is that sucker in your icon .. looks to be about 6 - 7" wide ? I'll bet you grabbed your camera, took the shot, hit the handle and watched him get dizzy ?
I have no idea actually, Ron the Plumber found that image.

The original Killer toilet spider that inspired my username was 4" across.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
STORY PLEASE!:yes:
All right.

Our family owns a cabin right on the Illinois river (twelve of us share the costs for it, and communicate who is going to be there when so that overcrowding isn't an issue) and six years ago when my daughter was ten we were spending a weekend there. After being out on the boat for the afternoon we cruised up to our dock, and my daughter ran into the cabin to go to the bathroom. While I am tying up the boat I hear her screaming at the top of her lungs, and all of sudden she comes running out on the porch, I run over and ask what's wrong, and she yells there's a killer toilet spider in the bathroom. I go in and find a 4" wood spider camped out on the base of the toilet, in plain view from the door, so I grabbed it and through it outside, but the term killer toilet spider stuck in my head forever, so I decided to use it.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Service plumbing seems to be slow all over. BIL has plumbing company in MD and he is experiencing the same thing. SC is slow too! We get 4-5 calls a week from plumbers looking for jobs. Last may, couldn't find a plumber to hire.

In a few weeks, we are going to make some big changes and firmly believe it will catapult us to the top. We are calling it our 99 days to prosperity. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Killer .. did she go in after you got rid of it, or was her need taken care of at the time she 1st saw the da#m thing ??

Plumbcrazy .. unfortunately that was what I figured was happening to most. I'm interested what ya got up your sleeve, and how it works out .. I'll be keeping an eye out for that !

Thanks !

·
Banned
913 Posts
Old Plumber - I'll let you know halfway into it. I did a lot of research on the Internet and the rest is a gut feeling. It won't be expensive and can be duplicated to work anywhere. I promise to share with you what worked and what didn't. Taking the best ideas and implementing, getting rid of the rest.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I love the killer toilet spider story.

Once I was in Jackson, WY and the then wife and I decided to stay overnight in a cabin. Everything looked fine for a log cabin - all the comforts and it seemed clean.

But after we turned off the lights and went to bed we started to hear some rustling. I turned the light on and saw hundreds of spiders everywhere, including on the bed! Big, wood spiders!

We left the lights on - they don't seem to like them - and didn't get much sleep the rest of the night.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Plumbcrazy,

That'll be great ! What's the approximate time line ? You really have my interest and curiosity going !

·
Banned
913 Posts
Old Plumber - Starts in 2 weeks, though I am putting final touches on everything now. Then it's 'balls to the wall' for 99 days. After the 99 days, I will evaluate what was profitable and what wasn't. I promise to share what works.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Folks,

Just a quick update. Things have improved quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. The phone has started ringing and calls getting scheduled and done ! There is a ton of work out there that needs done, and as the economy picks up I'm confident the work will too ! I'm hoping and Praying that this isn't simply a bump in the road .. but rather the start of good times ahead !

Has anyone else noticed calls picking up too ?

·
Banned
1,589 Posts
I'm actually booked two weeks up for non-emergency work...with sporatic calls coming in.

It's not fun when it's slow, but to me it's even MORE aggravating when I lose work if I'm too busy.

Guess I'm just never happy....

·
Banned
913 Posts
Within the last week and a half we had a real uptick. Like you, I'm hoping it stays that way. I'm thinking gas prices going down have people feeling the world isn't coming to an end. Whatever it is - let's pray it continues.

Even if it stays this way, I am moving forward with my plans to prosperity.

Had a call today from YP ad: pipe burst under sink last night, can you send someone over? Sure, he didn't even ask about pricing. When I tell him I can have a plumber over in an 1 1/2, he asks if our plumber can set 3 wc. Sure! An hour into the call our plumber calls - he cannot take any calls for the rest of the day. HO having him change out all supplies, install new G.Disp, and kitchen sink faucet. They rarely ever come in like this.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts