Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to help daughter-new house well sulpher smell -city water at street-so we are paying the 4k city fee and running 75 ft of water service 1". The guy who did 60 services when main run years ago in the sub wants to do it for 2k complete using 1" plastic. I am 67 and only used soft copper on services yrs ago. I am asking what is the state of the art material pe-pex-copper? I am having to talk him into sleeving the foundation poured basement wall-where service comes in -as he says inspector dont require it- (but code does). 3" 2-1/2" or 2" sleeve needed? as the bigger I go the more he will ***** or raise the fee. Motown ( not jumping in hole at 67)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Obviously choice of copper vs plastic is one's preference. I still use "K" copper for services. Tough to go around tight corners, but if you treat it nice, it wont kink. I work in houses with copper services, some from the 1950's, still good. All our inspectors want all size services (and building drain also) " sleeved", and made water tight. I use a reducing Fernco coupling to seal both ends of sleeve. Exterior penetration through foundation, has to be tarred, then cemented, covering Fernco.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was waiting for you! I am reading and told expanding foam used. I love the fernco reducing cement tar idea. But I wonder if foam fernco tar might allow expansion where cement wont. Motown

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, that is a good point. I can't say that I have ever had one leak due to expansion and cracking of the cement, but that is a possibility. When it is buried a minimum of 42" below grade( my area for freeze protection), don't want to take any chances of having to dig it back up because of a leak. If you're sure the expanding foam is water tight, then that is an improvement on my method.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love using wirsbo pex and anytime I can and it's allowed: awesome! However just for my own sake I like to keep the main pipe coming into the building in copper, and the first valve in COPPER! After that, it's fair game! Except if it's exposed to uv light or it's in a mechanical room to which I go straight back to using copper.

Pex has many many advantages but there are somethings I think should be kept in copper, To each their own though

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use hydraulic cement and you won't have to worry about leaks:no:
Sparky- Like that idea as well. I usually leave the exterior sealing, once I install the Fernco, to the excavator, which now that you mention it, I am relatively sure that is what he uses. The excavator I have had for about 15 years now, is one of a kind. If I am ever delayed on a job, and can't get to the water service job on time, he will roll it out and stub it on either end. He has said he would do the tie in as well. (Never with any intention of back charging me, or anything). I am a bit on the "OCD" side, and have a hard enough time, to let him roll it out ! Of course I walk and inspect "every foot" of it, before the sand, and back fill starts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sand and backfill

I am so glad that was mentioned- what do i demand on sand coverage or sand under if I go plastic like he wants? What if I go copper same sand required? I almost want to pull 2 lines using 1 as a backup. but with copper outrageous maybe 2 pe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts