Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do this as a poll don't know how.

I trimed out 12 restrooms last week all wallhung lav's and W/C's. A respected co-worker roughed. I went in expecting a 4 day trim 12 lav, w/c's 6 hwt and laundry trays. not a bit of backing in the wall for the lav's and each carrier 6 back to back carriers where so loose no concete just 4 lags to wood floor.

Now when I rough I do not leave anything up to the contractor as far as being able to finish. I put the backing in there, carriers on wood get a concrete base poured around them.

Do you leave it up to the contractor or do it yourself?

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Any good contractor with men on site would offer to do the backing for you but the burden is on the plumber to check and make sure--my opinion only. Ive got one where the concrete prep people slumped the drains and after some camera shots I have 2 filled areas. I know the concrete man will deny and moan and since there are no photos of the waste pipe with a level on it Im going to have to do something. And they wonder why plumbers get attitudes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I usually try and get the carpenters on site to rip me some 3-4" strips of plywood which I cut to length to install backing. I usually double up 5/8's to 3/4" plywood for backing just to be sure, and I like plywood because it doesn't split as readily as 2 x 4's. Also, I prefer using screws and not nails, to install backing.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
Excellant idea the cordless nail gun. Thanks guys, I been lookin for excuse to buy one.:thumbup:

My boss bought mine for me. The framing guns go for about 375. A box of nails for like 2500 nails runs about $50 at the depot. Fuel cells run about $15 for 2. But if you look real close you can find the nails you need on the jobsites. I've had mine for about 3 years and only had to buy 2 boxes of nails.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
Backing for plumbing fixtures is plumbers work, plain and simple. When I was running new high rise work I could keep an apprentice busy for months putting backing in, why let someone else do our work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will install all backing myself. Secure it accordingly. General Contractors try to dictate what they want and what you should do for them. You stick with your legos and I'll stick with my plumbing. It can be very tempting to be seduced by "General Contractors" they drive me crazy. Any project i initiate will be completed from start to finish, and that means any prep work involved with that particular project.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree

I use rebar and tie wire to brace all my underground roughs. It really isn't any other trades' responsibility to watch out for my pipes. The backing should be spec'ed whose job it is.
I also use rebar, wire, and I am always on the job site when concrete is poured to make sure the pipes are not kicked and to make sure metal stakes are not driven through the pipes. It is probably not a bad idea to pour a little concrete to hold drains in place as mentioned in one post. The biggest problem we have with new construction is cement contractors putting stakes through our pipes because we cover them with dirt and plastic before the pour. Then, we have most of our problems with the electricians and drywallers.

One thing I seriously never figured out is how plumbers put their pipes in the center of walls by using one string. I always use two strings and put my pipes in the center. Of course, my last new construction job was in something like 1989, so I can't remember much.

I make my own drawings, taken from the blue prints and I write the exact measurements for both of my strings. I check these measurements about 10 times and I make the general sit with me and verify the measurements. Then, I double-check with the framers because they always find or see something a little different. I put the drawings in a 3-ring folder with sheet protectors because the folder is easier to carry around than blueprints. This makes it easier to keep double-checking.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I worked on commercial when I was young, but backing was never a problem since all the buildings were block.

But in residential, I always put up all my backings. The only exception was a couple of years where I worked for Boise Cascade in a house-building plant: they had a crew going around putting in backings for everything.

·
AKA house plumber
3,560 Posts
I only pull one string. If its a 4 inch wall then center of pipe is 1 3/4. A 6 inch wall 2 3/4 to center. And i always put my stakes like they would be inside the wall. So just by looking at the stake I knew how the wall was going to be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts