Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In California a licensed plumbing contractor can bid whatever price they want on a job. If awarded, the customer is obligated to pay per the terms of the written contract, this somehow to me leaves people open to be screwed and there are plumbers who work very unethical, I know some customers deserve it too, but when I tell someone I charge $105 an hour they tend to flip out rather than I give them some BS line with a flat price. I was wondering how is it done in other states? do you have a maximum or fair rate guidelines?

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
Why would you tell them you charge $105.00 "PER HOUR"? If you're doing that then you're asking for trouble in the first place. Look at the job, if you think it will take less than an hour then give your customer the flat rate price plus materials and mark up. Why do you have to use the phrase "per hour"?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I guess I'm a bit befuddled here also. If you and the customer come to an agreement and sign a contract than that should be all there is to it requardless of how much the sale price was. As for telling folks you are charging 130 bucks an hr, are you nuts? Just give em the flat rate price for the job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I base our rates on an hourly rate. If I'm having trouble convencing a customer of a flat rate price (based upon $105.00 hr.) I will offer the work at $105.00 per hr. plus materials as a last resort.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
A couple of things. Why are you basing your flat rate price on an hourly price?, and why would you give a customer one price and then change it when they balk? When you do things like that the customer has lost all faith in you because they figured you were ripping them off the first go round. Never discount anything. Your price should be based on your cost of operation plus whatever profit you wish to make. When word get around that you are a two price guy the whole world of deadbeats will be a knocking at your door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts