Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do they need to be brazed or can i just solder them?

175psi

guy dosent want black pipe

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I've tested soldered piping systems at 200 PSI and it held for 48 hours no problem, so I don't see why you would need to braze them.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
When we do a dental clinic, the air lines only needed to be soldered.

·
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.
409 Posts
We have to braze all compressed air copper piping installed inside a building. The fire code is who governs this. The idea is that soldered pipe will melt at too low of a temperature during a fire and the fire will then be fed with a good supply of air and burn hotter as long as the compressor stays on.

It's also a good idea to always purge the copper with nitrogen while brazing to keep the inside clean from oxidation. We always purge the piping whether or not it's required, it makes for a clean supply of air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Silver soldered air lines

I agree with "The Good Plumber" that ALL air lines should be silver soldered. Some years ago I had a fire marshal call me on the soft soldered joints. I'm doing some air lines in a municipal building and noticed that all the existing air lines are soft soldered. I approached the fire marshal with the soft solder or braze question and got a blank stare.After explaining the reason for brazing she agreed. My question is ,does anyone know what fire protection bulletin applies to the brazing of air lines. I thought it was NPFB 25,but she says that pertains to dry sprinkler systems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
12,488 Posts
Closet Auger, please post us an intro; how many years in the plumbing trade, licenses held, favorite aspect, etc...we'd love to hear your valuable input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts