Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it acceptable to just call around and ask other shops what they charge for a specific service? I've heard of one shop charging 200/hr and another shop charging 130/hr. What would the shop with the higher price be offering to justify choosing them?

·
Super Moderator
9,349 Posts
Is it acceptable to just call around and ask other shops what they charge for a specific service? I've heard of one shop charging 200/hr and another shop charging 130/hr. What would the shop with the higher price be offering to justify choosing them?
24/7 someone will be there within an hour is the higher price. Higher overhead too. For drains I’m flat rate. No hidden surprises other than pulling a toilet or new clean out plug. Not really good practice to call your local competitors. I don’t like wasting my time on the phone nor does anyone else that I know of. Charge what your current employer charges. Maybe $10 less.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,769 Posts
It is better to have some freinds call around to get this information for you or you family members..
I have had other companies call me and they felt kind of stupid when I could see caller id on my phnone.......
Its Better to do this with stealth and act like a customer asking for prices.....

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I go with what OpenSights posted as a start, you may not have the same overhead now,
but use the extra Income to apply to other things you need, and if Married look at butting the
CO. in your wife's name then you can get all kind of breaks

·
Registered
Plumber
159 Posts
Why not on one of your days off just call a bunch of companies and schedule people to come out and give you an estimate on things in your home. Make sure that your truck isn't in the driveway of course and they can't tell that you're a plumber. I know it's kind of a dick move but you can see how these guys run their calls and how they price things.

The only other real way to do it it's simply understand flat rate and how much your truck needs to make each week. And then understanding what a billable versus non-billable hour is.

A good Plumbing truck should make $8,000 a week. An average plumber Works approximately 30 billable hours in a given week. 8000 / 30 equals your billable hour. And this is what you can base your flat rate pricing off of. It really doesn't matter what other people charged as long as you can make a profit. If you can specialize into something and do it and half of the time then you can be ahead of the game

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
. Charge what your current employer charges. Maybe $10 less.
I agree that it's not a good thing to waste yours and others time on the phone. But the reason why it's a waste is because you have no clue what their cost of running their business is or how they run it do their price could be very different from yours.

This statement of yours to charge what your last employer did or maybe $10 less. I must disagree with as I think it's the most terrible advise one can get.

1: your last employeer might have 5 vans to spread his operating cost out on and you only have 1.

2: last emoyeer provided no medical benefits and only 1 week vacation which is why you decided to start your own company. If you were unhappy with the conditions why set yourself up to only be able to provide the same because you charge the same, you will not have happy employees.

3: you likely went out on your own because you also thought you could do better yourself so why charge less than someone you think you are better than. Take pride in your work, treat the customer that way and believe you are worth it or you will fall down to the level you think your last employeer was at. Believe it and provide the quality to match it. Do not charge less and end up lowering the quality to match the price.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Why not on one of your days off just call a bunch of companies and schedule people to come out and give you an estimate on things in your home. Make sure that your truck isn't in the driveway of course and they can't tell that you're a plumber. I know it's kind of a dick move but you can see how these guys run their calls and how they price things.

The only other real way to do it it's simply understand flat rate and how much your truck needs to make each week. And then understanding what a billable versus non-billable hour is.

A good Plumbing truck should make $8,000 a week. An average plumber Works approximately 30 billable hours in a given week. 8000 / 30 equals your billable hour. And this is what you can base your flat rate pricing off of. It really doesn't matter what other people charged as long as you can make a profit. If you can specialize into something and do it and half of the time then you can be ahead of the game
Exactly,I was gonna get into medical gas a few yrs ago,nobody wascfoing it in my area and I was certified but all of a sudden they change the certification process and you have to do it ever 6 months or lose the certification so I said piss on medical gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you do have friends and family call around to get an idea of pricing also pay attention to the customer service and how quickly they can come out. It's good to be competitive but it's also important to know your own value. If you're offering faster services or going further afield don't be afraid to price yourself accordingly. Price isn't the only way to equate value to yourself :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts