Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost never see loop vents here in FL. I do see a lot of wet vents like this though. It actually works quite well and is a breeze to jet out. This one in was in some high end condos. I guess they wanted to stay outta the fire wall and that's why they didn't run a vent stack.

Attachments

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen hundreds of homes done this way. It does in fact work. The idea is that because the pipe is sized so much larger than the actual flow that can be put thru it, it's self venting. The flow is not enough to develop a water slug to block the pipe. Since a slug can not develop, air transfer can take place from other VTRs in the system. Furthermore, since the pipe is so large it takes quite a while for grease buildup to occur.

Can you give me a reason why this should not be done other than personal preference?

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Yea, when the grease does build up and it will from the lack of scouring that a smaller dia. would have that drain is going to make some drain cleaners day. Especially if he works for a flat rate company.

If I saw that I'd skip taking the snake off the truck cut in a downstream cleanout and call the jetter.:censored::censored::censored:

:censored:That :censored:!

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ratio of kitchen stoppages I see is something like 50:1 2"vent stack:3"wet vent. To be fair though, most kitchens are VTRs in the area.

You are correct redwood, about the lack of scouring. Most of the times I’ve cut the santee out for remodels, their was a pretty good scum line 1/3 the way up the cross section. I still think that setup has fewer problems than the traditional 2” w/ VTR.

Yea, when the grease does build up and it will from the lack of scouring that a smaller dia. would have that drain is going to make some drain cleaners day. Especially if he works for a flat rate company.

If I saw that I'd skip taking the snake off the truck cut in a downstream cleanout and call the jetter.:censored::censored::censored:

:censored:That :censored:!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I totally agree that this will work and is an interesting idea but I would never try it because it would never pass inspection... at least in my area.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That is what they required of us for Island sinks prior to Studor Vents being used. I have seen tons of kitchens plumbed this way

·
Banned
383 Posts
That is what they required of us for Island sinks prior to Studor Vents being used. I have seen tons of kitchens plumbed this way
they used to allow us to do that. basically we had to place a 3" santee, w/ a 2" vent out the top and couldn't extend more than 15' before long turninging up into the cabinet. then set the 3"x1 1/2" santee w/ a cleanout on top. it works but i use the studor vent.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
Thats a combination waste and vent system. Its common here and it works. Putting a studor on that would do nothing.

·
Banned
6,437 Posts
I agree. But it would be deemed an "S" trap by most codes.
Well it would also fail because it has no vent....but all that combined makes a combination waste and vent that is approved in some places and if an engineer approves it here the city cant stop them aslong as he takes full responsibility for any problems that arise out of the design he puts his name and bond on. Engineer's over ride the city building dept here.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The setup shown in the photo is actually illegal by today’s code. I'm not sure if it was legal when built but you cannot run a combination waste/vent line with a waste grinder on it.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same here. If you can get an engineer to put his sig on the doted line you can do it no matter what the code says. The physics better be sound though cuz an engineer is not going to risk his PE on some crazy shiot.

Well it would also fail because it has no vent....but all that combined makes a combination waste and vent that is approved in some places and if an engineer approves it here the city cant stop them aslong as he takes full responsibility for any problems that arise out of the design he puts his name and bond on. Engineer's over ride the city building dept here.

·
brown is down
371 Posts
are those high rise condos, it might be run on sovent, otherwise i don't see how that could be legal. here in WI combo d&v only applies to floor mount fixtures going into building drain.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts