Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an unpleasant surprise on my insurance renewal. I have GEICO commercial insurance in the state of California $575 for two vans for one year I thought it was a good deal.
Recently I got a non-renewal letter from Geico saying they were going to stop selling this from on insurance in California. They recommend I went with there sister carrier I guess they are both owned by Berkshire Hathaway. So I ask for a quote I give them my info they pull a soft credit check and I get a quote for a new policy with the same deductible's it was for 13,xxx dollars a year. I said wow that is almost twenty times as expensive as my current policy? I should have had them send me a quote so I could review it but I was so surprised that I said that was ridiculous and hung up the phone.

I am a one man shop with two vans what do you guys pay and can you recommend a good carrier?

Thanks David

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Early on I went through the same middle man company as my master. My one cube was about $750 for 6 months. Two months in I get a letter stating that since I don’t have workers comp I had to pay an $800 waver or get WC for $700/year. I think it was Allstate. Now I have no employees, the owner of the business can’t draw from WC, so WTF?!

I ended up calling State Farm, who has handled my personal auto insurance since ‘03. Took them a a couple days to get back to me because they had to do actual paperwork, not computer work. They came back with $440/6mo.

Obviously once I canceled the WC, I had about 6 months of harassing letters from the state. F’em.

I remember fun times at CA DMVs! Insurance was bad back then too.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I use an agency, same agency and agent, for 25 years. They represent numerous companies and shop for me regularly. But I have home, life, personal vehicles (4) and umbrella, company vans (5), workers comp, company liability and umbrella, company health, equipment, tools. What else? Rental properties and shop building.

Anyway, I challenged my agent years ago to argue a comment that a friend made, where he changes insurance agencies every 5 years and my agent responded well.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Best quote so far $1,100 per six months State Farm
I've had statefarm before. They're cheap when you have a clean record, but any little issue and your premium skyrockets, even if it wasn't your driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts