Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in residential plumbing for over 20+years. I've done a few light commercial jobs.

Been thinking of starting to do commercial work. Pros and cons? Besides 90 day wait on payment.

Also any bidding software to help figure out pricing?

Thanks.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
Master Plumber
357 Posts
The best thing to do if you want to do commercial work is to go work for a company that does commercial work. You’ll also need some serious capital to be able to afford to carry the jobs financially. It’s very easy to start wracking up a supply house bill in the tens or even hundreds of thousands every month.

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,769 Posts
When you get stiffed you really get stiffed. When you get stiffed on an occasional residential service call it stinks, but not the end of the world, and potentially your company.
Aint that the truth,,,
You are dealing with a whole different kind of human being when going after commercial work..
they are all crooks and bullies that are looking for fresh meat to screw over.....

if you do a large job, they never , ever pay you back that re-tainage fee they hold onto for 90 days or more...
its part of the dues you pay to figure out that they are not your feinds...
They will even attempt trick you into bidding a ton of jobs in the hopes to trick you into not filing mechanic leins on
slow paying jobs you are presently involved with...cause you think they are gonna throw all this work you are bidding
on your way... its all a smoke screen I personally went through with some skumbags back in 94.

With commercial work their is no such thing as loyalty, trust, or honoring and keeping their word .....they will throw you
under the bus even over someone else bidding a job for 500 less...

Now 3pk, if you want , I can text you all the commercial calls I get every week wanting me to
bid different jobs around town..... I personally dont want the aggravation

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I thought about it, there's really no good points about doing commercial. As much as I miss it I just don't miss the ease of losing money so we are full service now, both commercial and residential.

·
7,769 Posts
I thought about it, there's really no good points about doing commercial. As much as I miss it I just don't miss the ease of losing money so we are full service now, both commercial and residential.

You are a wise soul..... I never forget every good screwing I have received over the
years and by co-incidence, ---- most came from commercial jobs....

·
Registered
Master Plumber
357 Posts
I love that all I do is commercial work but I definitely wouldn’t want to do it working for myself. The president of our company told me today that for the first time in the history of the company they have over a million dollars in invoices that are 90 days past due. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for chasing down that kind of money.

·
7,769 Posts
I love that all I do is commercial work but I definitely wouldn’t want to do it working for myself. The president of our company told me today that for the first time in the history of the company they have over a million dollars in invoices that are 90 days past due. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for chasing down that kind of money.
That is what is called "having your balls in a vice"
I would not be surprised if a number of those overdue accounts have already gone under
considering over 90 days has passed..... ouch....

I think you had better be looking around for another job or keeping your options open because
the writing is probably on the wall---
I am also very surprised that he would even tell you about this....

·
Registered
Master Plumber
357 Posts
That is what is called "having your balls in a vice"
I would not be surprised if a number of those overdue accounts have already gone under
considering over 90 days has passed..... ouch....

I think you had better be looking around for another job or keeping your options open because
the writing is probably on the wall---
I am also very surprised that he would even tell you about this....
Our company does between 25-30 million in sales every year. I’m positive that they still have 5 times that amount in the bank to cover any losses. I just mentioned the situation on the forum to show how out of control commercial work can get. However I am always looking around for an opportunity that would be a better situation for my family and I am positive that of the company went under tomorrow that I have the skill set to be employed by another company within 24hrs. I really like to company I work for. They care about their employees and treat us like human beings. It is not uncommon for him to share that type of information with me as I am one of the head guys in our install department.

·
7,769 Posts
Our company does between 25-30 million in sales every year. I’m positive that they still have 5 times that amount in the bank to cover any losses. I just mentioned the situation on the forum to show how out of control commercial work can get. However I am always looking around for an opportunity that would be a better situation for my family and I am positive that of the company went under tomorrow that I have the skill set to be employed by another company within 24hrs. I really like to company I work for. They care about their employees and treat us like human beings. It is not uncommon for him to share that type of information with me as I am one of the head guys in our install department.
Well that is good to know.... glad they can weather storms of this nature.
Many smaller companies would be sweating bullets by now...

·
7,769 Posts
To be more clear. When I say that they have 5 times that amount in the bank. I mean about 5 mil not 100 mil. Haha
Well, that probably makes you feel good about who and where you work for...
no matter how big they are you cant take on too much water without being concerned .

maybe the boss was telling you this just to let you know your x-mas bonus might be a tad light
this year if they dont collect that loot..... :D

·
Plumbing Contractor
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the response. Still just pondering on it.

Mark you can just keep those calls to yourself for now. 😁

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
7,769 Posts
Thanks for the response. Still just pondering on it.

Mark you can just keep those calls to yourself for now. 😁

sorry, I think I texted you one yesterday.......to your cell phone.... did you get it??

In all honesty, I wish you only the best.... we have both chewed up the same kind of
plumbing work for years now.....

We are only a mile apart in town and I cant keep up
with all the service calls I am presently getting.......
I got too much to handle at this moment... and their is nothing but dumbass morons out
there to hire so I have been passing some calls on to Bedell and Allen when I am overwhelmed...

Went to lunch today and they turned us all away at Shallows in greenwood because half of their
staff did not show up for work .... They must have gotten their welfare handouts this week.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts