Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am at the beginning of my Drain Service journey. As I mentioned in my intro, I have a K 60 with both sizes of cable and a Milwaukee m18 drain gun.

Would it be better for me to go ahead and get a skid mounted Jetter to go in the back of a full-size service van.

Or is a good size cart Jetter in a medium sized van sufficient to start a business and still take care of a wide variety of residential and commercial properties?

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I appreciate it. Ive watched the jetting with Jonsie vids. Interesting company.

The guys who run trailer jetters here charge between 600 and 900 dollars to run main lines. Mostly large companies with alot of ad spend.

But there are some companies at 175 an hour. I think that is the business model I would be following. Hopefully I'll become the de facto jetter guy when the other affordable/reputable jetter company can't make it in a reasonable amount of time.

still van hunting.

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Thanks! I appreciate it. Ive watched the jetting with Jonsie vids. Interesting company.

The guys who run trailer jetters here charge between 600 and 900 dollars to run main lines. Mostly large companies with alot of ad spend.

But there are some companies at 175 an hour. I think that is the business model I would be following. Hopefully I'll become the de facto jetter guy when the other affordable/reputable jetter company can't make it in a reasonable amount of time.

still van hunting.
Just remember, you get what you pay for, and when it comes to jetting, the price you charge is your cost of the jetter and it’s maintenance. I priced out jetters about 6 years ago. A decent JNW with all the options I wanted was about $10k. A good 40/18 Mongoose was about $54k. You could spend $3500 on a Ridgid cart jetter if you only want to charge $175/hr, but mind you, that thing is only good for soft blockages and bellies, it won’t do anything to roots.

·
Registered
Plumbing
571 Posts

still van hunting.
what kind of van are you looking for ?

·
I aint CPV see in it?
Plumbing
5,318 Posts
I there’s risks with that. What happens when the smaller jetter does not clear it, the cable doesn’t clear it? “Well you’ll have to call so and so and have them hit it with their larger jetter”. I know this because I’ve been there. And then they usually get the line replacment to go with it. I’ve been that guy. And it sucks. Having a full aresonl so there is no need to call anyone else; is the best. Get a hardcore camera, jetter, and excavator. You’ll be set. Clear it, camera it; replace it, the trifecta, all in your pocket.

·
Registered
Plumbing
571 Posts
I there’s risks with that. What happens when the smaller jetter does not clear it, the cable doesn’t clear it? “Well you’ll have to call so and so and have them hit it with their larger jetter”.
No it never gets referred to the larger jetter.

When the jetter they have and the cables they have fail they suggest replacement.

I have a guy that pays me twice a year to run his sewer so it never backs up. He’s done that for 10-12 yrs. He could’ve paid to have it replaced, makes zero sense for him. I’m glad he lets me make $500 a yr off him with no end in sight. It’s only 50’ long and since I clean it so much there’s never really any roots in it.

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
C5300 PRO CART JETTER (GAS)
4GPM @ 4200 PSI
Standard Features:
Honda GX390 Gas Engine
Belt Driven Triplex Ceramic Plunger Pump
4-Wheel Heavy Duty Steel Cart Design with Wheel Locking Brake System
All Units are Completely Factory Assembled in The USA and Delivered Ready to Operate.

INCLUDES:
Hose Reel W/300’x 3/8” Jetter Hose
Selective Hydro – Pulse (Pulsation On Demand)
Easy Start Valve – No Load Starting
3 – Jetter Nozzles
50′ Pressure Washing Hose
Pressure Washer Wand and Accessories​

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
TRAILER JET MODEL TWW1000
  • TROJAN TRAILER JETTER (135″L X 82″W X 60″H)
    3500LB TORSION BAR SUSPENSION AND
    2″ BALL FOR TOWING
    LOW SIDE RAILS
    15″ TIRES WITH CHROME WHEELS
    DOT LIGHTING W/FLAT 4-PIN CONNECTOR
    (ONE-YEAR WARRANTY)
  • HONDA GX630 ENGINE W/ THROTTLE CONTROL
    LOW OIL AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN, ELECTRIC START
  • BELT DRIVEN TRIPLEX CERAMIC PLUNGER PUMP
    [email protected]
  • 12 GALLON GAS TANK
  • 200 GALLON WATER TANK
    MARINE GRADE BATTERY
  • MANUAL REEL WITH 100′ OF FILL HOSE
  • MANUAL REEL WITH 100′ OF PRESSURE WASHER HOSE
  • LOCKING TOOLBOX
  • 4- 1/2″ JETTER NOZZLES
  • POWER WASHER WAND
    NOZZLES AND ACCESSORIES
  • OPTIONS:
  • 1/2″ X 400′ OF JETTER HOSE WITH
    AUTOMATIC REEL
  • 3/8″ X 300′ OF JETTER HOSE WITH
    AUTOMATIC REEL

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
VISIONHD 1080P
  • 1-1/2″ – 4″ Lines
  • 1″ 1080P High Definition Self Leveling Color Camera Head with 8X Zoom Feature
  • Spring with Built in 512Hz Transmitter
  • Foot Counter
  • 10.2″ LCD Monitor with DVR, Speaker and Microphone for Voice Recording
  • Keyboard for Text Writing
  • 100′ of 3/8″ Flexible Push Rod to Easily Maneuver Bends in Any Pipe
  • Durable Protective Case with Partitioned Reel Housing for Quick Removal and Cleaning
  • Three Additional Input Connections For Use with the 200′, 400′ and Pan & Tilt Reels
  • Works with AC and DC Power (7hr Battery Life)
  • Includes: 2 Skids with Quick Change Adaptor
  • 64gb SD Card with USB, Micro USB and USB-C Adaptor and Charging Cord

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
VISIONHD 1080P
  • 1-1/2″ – 4″ Lines
  • 1″ 1080P High Definition Self Leveling Color Camera Head with 8X Zoom Feature
  • Spring with Built in 512Hz Transmitter
  • Foot Counter
  • 10.2″ LCD Monitor with DVR, Speaker and Microphone for Voice Recording
  • Keyboard for Text Writing
  • 100′ of 3/8″ Flexible Push Rod to Easily Maneuver Bends in Any Pipe
  • Durable Protective Case with Partitioned Reel Housing for Quick Removal and Cleaning
  • Three Additional Input Connections For Use with the 200′, 400′ and Pan & Tilt Reels
  • Works with AC and DC Power (7hr Battery Life)
  • Includes: 2 Skids with Quick Change Adaptor
  • 64gb SD Card with USB, Micro USB and USB-C Adaptor and Charging Cord
Thank you for the suggestions!

Is it better to have a skid mounted Jetter in a van or a trailer unit?

I've heard Trojan jetters are a good way to start.

Not sure if i should just start simple and keep my initial investment cheap, or spend 80k for a new van, camera, and jetter.

·
Registered
Plumber
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I know all these questions don't have perfect general answers.

I've been pretty risk-averse most of my life. But the pain of staying the same outweighs taking some chances at this point.

I respect the focus, energy, and sacrifice that goes into creating the plumbing systems of our country. I've been proud of my small part in maintaining the homes and businesses of our community. On good days it feels a little bit like play which is more than I hoped for in a job.

At 38 I don't know how long my body will be good to me. It's my goal to save and invest $60,000 a year on average over the next 20 years.

Yesterday I crawled underneath a 100 year old house and ran a new gas line through the front wall into a crawlspace. I ran a trackpipe manifold to various fixtures and fastidiously braced the runs high and tight. Pressure tested. Connected appliances with flexes. Double checked and no leaks. I must return next week to bind the line directly to the ground post of the breaker box.

Dug up and repaired a broken 1 inch male adapter at the meter at the same residence.

Hauled heavy equipment to a job site at apartment complex in Clinton. Put on a protective suit and crawled into a 6 foot deep hole that had been Hydro excavated in the concrete patio just next to a pool. further operated the Hydro to expose a 3 inch ductile iron T that someone had capped off with a galvanized 2 inch nipple/cap in a gasket held threaded ductile reducing adapter.

The nipple had developed a leak…

I used two 24 inch pipe wrenches to carefully extract the nipple and replace it.

Then we moved 3 yards of dirt in a wheelbarrow from a trailer into the pool area and into the hole. Tamped in the place and then broke everything down pressure washed the area and called it a day.
I made $240 pre Tax.

I love my boss and he has taught me everything I know. He is a wonderful friend to have.

I started at $10 an hour in 2015 and now I'm at $31 an hour. We have a 3% match on our 401(k). A 2 percent take on everything we collect. He does offer insurance but it is cost prohibitive.

I really think there may be a chance of tripling my salary with a lot more work and responsibility.

·
Registered
Plumbing
571 Posts
I know all these questions don't have perfect general answers.

I've been pretty risk-averse most of my life. But the pain of staying the same outweighs taking some chances at this point.

I respect the focus, energy, and sacrifice that goes into creating the plumbing systems of our country. I've been proud of my small part in maintaining the homes and businesses of our community. On good days it feels a little bit like play which is more than I hoped for in a job.

At 38 I don't know how long my body will be good to me. It's my goal to save and invest $60,000 a year on average over the next 20 years.

Yesterday I crawled underneath a 100 year old house and ran a new gas line through the front wall into a crawlspace. I ran a trackpipe manifold to various fixtures and fastidiously braced the runs high and tight. Pressure tested. Connected appliances with flexes. Double checked and no leaks. I must return next week to bind the line directly to the ground post of the breaker box.

Dug up and repaired a broken 1 inch male adapter at the meter at the same residence.

Hauled heavy equipment to a job site at apartment complex in Clinton. Put on a protective suit and crawled into a 6 foot deep hole that had been Hydro excavated in the concrete patio just next to a pool. further operated the Hydro to expose a 3 inch ductile iron T that someone had capped off with a galvanized 2 inch nipple/cap in a gasket held threaded ductile reducing adapter.

The nipple had developed a leak…

I used two 24 inch pipe wrenches to carefully extract the nipple and replace it.

Then we moved 3 yards of dirt in a wheelbarrow from a trailer into the pool area and into the hole. Tamped in the place and then broke everything down pressure washed the area and called it a day.
I made $240 pre Tax.

I love my boss and he has taught me everything I know. He is a wonderful friend to have.

I started at $10 an hour in 2015 and now I'm at $31 an hour. We have a 3% match on our 401(k). A 2 percent take on everything we collect. He does offer insurance but it is cost prohibitive.

I really think there may be a chance of tripling my salary with a lot more work and responsibility.
Leave now. You’re young enough now to work all day and into the night. It gets harder to do that after 50.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know all these questions don't have perfect general answers. I've been pretty risk-averse most of my life. But the pain of staying the same outweighs taking some chances at this point. I respect the focus, energy, and sacrifice that goes into creating the plumbing systems of our country. I've been proud of my small part in maintaining the homes and businesses of our community. On good days it feels a little bit like play which is more than I hoped for in a job. At 38 I don't know how long my body will be good to me. It's my goal to save and invest $60,000 a year on average over the next 20 years. Yesterday I crawled underneath a 100 year old house and ran a new gas line through the front wall into a crawlspace. I ran a trackpipe manifold to various fixtures and fastidiously braced the runs high and tight. Pressure tested. Connected appliances with flexes. Double checked and no leaks. I must return next week to bind the line directly to the ground post of the breaker box. Dug up and repaired a broken 1 inch male adapter at the meter at the same residence. Hauled heavy equipment to a job site at apartment complex in Clinton. Put on a protective suit and crawled into a 6 foot deep hole that had been Hydro excavated in the concrete patio just next to a pool. further operated the Hydro to expose a 3 inch ductile iron T that someone had capped off with a galvanized 2 inch nipple/cap in a gasket held threaded ductile reducing adapter. The nipple had developed a leak… I used two 24 inch pipe wrenches to carefully extract the nipple and replace it. Then we moved 3 yards of dirt in a wheelbarrow from a trailer into the pool area and into the hole. Tamped in the place and then broke everything down pressure washed the area and called it a day. I made $240 pre Tax. I love my boss and he has taught me everything I know. He is a wonderful friend to have. I started at $10 an hour in 2015 and now I'm at $31 an hour. We have a 3% match on our 401(k). A 2 percent take on everything we collect. He does offer insurance but it is cost prohibitive. I really think there may be a chance of tripling my salary with a lot more work and responsibility.
All that work and you got 240 bucks. If you are skilled enough to do all that your ready to receive all of the benefits. It’s time for you to go into business for yourself. You could have easily pocketed 3000 instead of 240.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts