Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why when I read through all of these posts everyone does things diffrent according to whatever code they are useing? Why the heck are their so many diffrent types of codes? Wouldn't it be easier to have 1 national code so every plumber and inspector is on the same page? Being a new guy to the industry it is so frusterating trying to figure out which code to learn. How do we protect the nation when most inspectors dont know their own ass from a hole in the ground and ARENT EVEN PLUMBERS?! We as an industry can't decide what code and regulations to follow, yet were supposed to protect the nation? WTF

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
There are different codes because different areas have different and unique situations. Like in CA they must use straps on water heaters, here in VA, we do not because we dont have earth quakes. Different areas install water lines at different depths because the frost line varies from state to state and so on......

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Even those could be included in a national code...

I personally like to call a spade a spade and say the real reason is local politics and the inability to relinquish control.

All those developers lobbying for easier codes to let them make higher profits... Come on you didn't think the savings was going to be passed on to the home buyer...

The unions lobbying for protectionist clauses in the code... Mass code is a great example. Chicago is another one...

Heck there was talk of a merger between IPC and UPC but in the end they agreed to disagree...

Bottom line keep the lobby money flowing.... There is money to be made.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
It's funny how we think that frost line depth or frost closure of roof vents is something that could not be covered in a national code.

Somehow seed companies have managed to pull of something very similar when they ship plants for spring planting... They have been doing it with great success for many years....

http://www.burpee.com/ancillary/zonefinder.do

The real reason is payola...
Ain't that right Sal Dimasi?
Muck knows what I'm talking about...

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶&#
8,329 Posts
This man is wise and speaks the unadulterated truth :notworthy:

Even those could be included in a national code...

I personally like to call a spade a spade and say the real reason is local politics and the inability to relinquish control.

All those developers lobbying for easier codes to let them make higher profits... Come on you didn't think the savings was going to be passed on to the home buyer...

The unions lobbying for protectionist clauses in the code... Mass code is a great example. Chicago is another one...

Heck there was talk of a merger between IPC and UPC but in the end they agreed to disagree...

Bottom line keep the lobby money flowing.... There is money to be made.

·
No Longer at This Address
4,710 Posts
There was about a 90% agreement between IAPMO and ICC to arrive at a National Plumbing Code a couple of years ago and ICC backed out after the deal was done. I'm guessing it will happen soon as the UPC got dumb down a little this year so they could add all of the NFPA stuff to it. Now we will spend the next couple of years straightening out all of the contradictions in the blended codes.

Mark

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
It's funny how we think that frost line depth or frost closure of roof vents is something that could not be covered in a national code.

Somehow seed companies have managed to pull of something very similar when they ship plants for spring planting... They have been doing it with great success for many years....

http://www.burpee.com/ancillary/zonefinder.do

The real reason is payola...
Ain't that right Sal Dimasi?
Muck knows what I'm talking about...
I live at the top of zone 3, can't plant most of our garden until June 1st. Frost level this year down to 8 feet. Lot's of iced over vents too. I found paradise, Ahhhhhh. :blink:

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
I live at the top of zone 3, can't plant most of our garden until June 1st. Frost level this year down to 8 feet. Lot's of iced over vents too. I found paradise, Ahhhhhh. :blink:
I'm in zone 6. We planted the garden today.:thumbup: Farmers are also planting.

·
Certified Lunatic
20,658 Posts
Hey I'm not union bashing here...

I'm just saying all this local control may not be the best thing...

One of out Ex-Govenors just got out of the federal pen (corruption)

Three of the Ex-Mayors of our largest cities are presently serving time...
(2 of them on corruption and 1 on child molestation... They were wiretapping him looking for corruption when the found him ordering up some young stuff)

We have another Mayor arrested but not convicted still serving as mayor in our capitol city...

Think any of these guys had a hand out?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I've always understood the schism between ICC and IAPMO to be over publishing rights ($$$$). I also know that the reason California doesn't have a state journey level plumbing test is because of disagreement between union and non union contractors as to how it would be written and administered.

I'm in zone 9 and my lazy bones saved me a lot of money and work because I haven't gotten my summer veggies in yet and we had a freak frost yesterday morning which would have wiped me out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts