Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered this after a restroom retrofit in my facility.....cleanout cover plate is screwed into and through the ABS C/O plug. Contractor is telling me this is common practice, and not a code violation........I am having a hard time believing them.......BECAUSE: if the sewer is backed up, when the screw is removed to expose the C/O plug, effluent comes shooting out the hole, BEFORE one can be prepared to contain it, as we would be when we are ready to remove the plug.

Hopefully, one of you experts and shine some light on this situation.....

thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
:eek: Just imagine
taking that CO cap off with 15+ feet of head pressure behind it.
Maybe it will start to leak before you unscrew it all the way. Maybe Not!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Unfortunately for you, the proper cleanout plug is banned in CA due to the fact that it caused cancer in a lab rat.
Oh man....did they test the stuff that goes thru the drains to see all the things that a lab rat could get from that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,985 Posts
Oh man....did they test the stuff that goes thru the drains to see all the things that a lab rat could get from that?

They spent 6.7 billion to prove that the State of California is known to the State of California to cause cancer, why not? I can still buy lead clean out plugs at my supply house.:rolleyes::laughing:

·
Registered
546 Posts
They spent 6.7 billion to prove that the State of California is known to the State of California to cause cancer, why not? I can still buy lead clean out plugs at my supply house.:rolleyes::laughing:
This is what gets me...im at a restaurant where they used reclaimed wood paneling to decorate the walls of the dining area. How much would you bet if I did a lead test I'd get a positive result. Same with antique furniture and reclaimed doors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
These always annoy me when I'm doing service but almost all covers are done this way from what I see. Sometimes they'll get lucky and the screw doesn't go all the way through but it usually does. By the time I get to them the screw is mostly rusted away from moisture, so the screw will fall out as you remove, liquids jet out the cover and you can't get the screw back in. They actually do make slotted ABS caps with a small brass threaded insert in the center if you want to be a bit more professional on the install

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
They actually do make slotted ABS caps with a small brass threaded insert in the center if you want to be a bit more professional on the install
Those slotted plugs with brass insert is what we use here. I would never dream of just driving a screw through it.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Usually if I am lucky enough to have a cleanout available in a commercial building, it is a female tee with a zurn chrome cover, held on by a bolt screwed threw the cleanout plug. They are almost always above the toilet meaning you probably won't have anything behind it even with a clog as it will just overflow from the toilet.

Reactions: MACPLUMB777

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
If it really bothers you, get brass plugs, fill the centers with solder, then drill and tap partially through. That would seem reasonably easy to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can also confirm that we do this as well at the company I work for. We try to use the shortest screw possible though, sometimes we don't have short enough screw to not penetrate and end up sticking it straight through if nothing is available and time is pressed. Not my call though, I would atleast wait until I have a short enough screw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts