Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

should I just dump it all or try to sell it ??

• throw in dumpster

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
philosopher and statesmen
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are probably going to sell our buildings some day in the next few years and I got pvc fittings
collecting dust on our shelves since the mid 70s..... I dont think ever PVC spoils
I was going to post them on facebook and craigs list
but I thought about just unloading them on anyone who would pay for the expence of shipping

most of the fittings do have value to someone doing lots of tract homes or new homes..
we got 3 inch double wyes and 3 inch double crosses running out the door.....
and will never use them..

or maybe I should just throw it all in our dumpster and let the crack heads go through them....

you see anything you want just let me know.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Pvc fittings do get brittle over time, I wouldn't use fittings that old. That said just put the boxes on some tables and have a tag sale. Let your helper get half the sales in return for running the garage sale aka sitting in the sun and dealing with all the old guys who pull up and want to make a deal.

·
Super Moderator
9,760 Posts
I’m with Skoro. Some of it doesn’t look to old. But I’m not sure a sale in your hood would be a good idea…. If yo do, take out a million dollar life insurance policy on your helper.

·
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pvc fittings do get brittle over time, I wouldn't use fittings that old. That said just put the boxes on some tables and have a tag sale. Let your helper get half the sales in return for running the garage sale aka sitting in the sun and dealing with all the old guys who pull up and want to make a deal.
I dont really know how long fittings are good for,, I have always heard that if PVC pipe stays out of sunlight it is good for
hundreds of years.... its being in sun light that makes it age and get brittle and breaks it down.. They dont really know hol
long PVC installed underground lasts for--- thinking something like 800+ years I was told.

This stuff has not seen the light of day since
the early 80s.....

a new 3 inch double wye is worth 13 bucks today....
so I got a small fortune in old stock laying around....

I guess I could just throw it on craigs list and offer all of this stuff for a few hundred bucks
but they got to take it all-----

·
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I’m with Skoro. Some of it doesn’t look to old. But I’m not sure a sale in your hood would be a good idea…. If yo do, take out a million dollar life insurance policy on your helper.
My small mid-west town mostly has white addicts walking up and down the streets... but Its getting worse and worse...
I hope we have a 5 foot snowfall and a cold winter to chase all the roaches down to florida or california..

Last Satruday morning
I was out dumping some trash and 4 people were just standing around out on the street , I thought it was
a drug deal going down.... of course I wear protection.. We kinda want to sell the building and get out of
there before one of us gets hurt.....

but actually its fairly tame here compared to Philley or other larger democratic run towns..
...... their are actually guys who go film the hell holes and
have a u-tube channel showing the god awful mess that democratic town has become.....

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I can't find the quote on the intergoogl where I found that Cpvc hardens but also gets stronger as it ages. Looked for something about that with Pvc, and couldn't find anything. I didn't try to do the math/chemical composition studies to figure it out myself either.
Working on old cpvc is like turning an old exhaust bolt out of my small-block, don't like it../

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I can't find the quote on the intergoogl where I found that Cpvc hardens but also gets stronger as it ages. Looked for something about that with Pvc, and couldn't find anything. I didn't try to do the math/chemical composition studies to figure it out myself either.
Working on old cpvc is like turning an old exhaust bolt out of my small-block, don't like it../
Stronger is a relative term. Whether it sees indirect sunlight or not, pvc and cpvc get harder, aka brittle, as they age. I've worked with plenty of old pvc and cpvc to know that.

Whether or not it's okay to sell to some old fogeys that will never actually install it is an ethical dilemma Mark will have to figure out on his own. ;)

·
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stronger is a relative term. Whether it sees indirect sunlight or not, pvc and cpvc get harder, aka brittle, as they age. I've worked with plenty of old pvc and cpvc to know that.

Whether or not it's okay to sell to some old fogeys that will never actually install it is an ethical dilemma Mark will have to figure out on his own. ;)
I am probably going to just dump it all but if I needed a double wye
or a double cross tomorrow I dont see a problem with any of it..
if it stays out of sunlight its good forever or close to it.... I have been told

the only thing wrong with this stuff is it has been sitting in a building that was
built in 1840 and now most of the fittings have nasty old coal soot on them from
it leaching out of the walls of this old barn...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts