Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I install a sewer line in a house, I always tend to want to put a clean out that runs outside the house. This way if the line stops up one can run a snake without crawling under the house. We are only required to do it if the total clearance is less than 24" under the joists. But 2 foot is not a lot of room, and who wants to try carrying a snake under there while crawling?

I am not talking about where it exits the house, but rather the uphill end of it.

·
Professional Bullshioter
6,092 Posts
We always extend to just behind a stainless cover out side when possible.

Nobody wants a sewer machine inside when it can be outside.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Outside cleanout is required here. You can have one inside, too, if you want. Older homes often don't have one, or it's buried. We do have a lot of basements, though smaller newer houses are on slabs.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
We always extend to just behind a stainless cover out side when possible.

Nobody wants a sewer machine inside when it can be outside.
Thats right.... I generally have to hunt for cleanouts and half the time there is one. When there isnt I add one for future cleaning...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Most do see the value in access once they are confronted with the price to clear thru the roof or pull a toilet ,but then it's too late.A clean-out up-stream is fine and desirable,you are truly providing a service by mentioning it or installing it.

·
Banned
8,808 Posts
Outside clean outs required here, all new homes have them, also required every 135 degrees of turn and every 100', alot of the older homes CO or either buried or don't have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts